Becontree bakers rise to occasion at community fete
- Credit: Archant
Becontree bakers rose to the occasion in a cake-making competition during a fete on Saturday afternoon.
Besides sampling the treats, visitors also enjoyed listening to the Becontree Brass Band at the event, which was organised by a residents’ group called DIY Porters Lodge.
The organisation receives funding from Barking and Dagenham Council and works with community charity Sustrans to improve the area.
Organisers hoped the fete in Wykeham Green, Barking, would give residents a chance to get to know one another and discuss ways to improve the ward.
Phillippa Banister, DIY Porters Lodge co-ordinator from Sustrans, said: “This is the start of something really exciting in Becontree, but it’s still not too late to get involved.
You may also want to watch:
“Over the next few months we’ll be hosting workshops for residents to work with experts to redesign their streets, and we’re inviting everyone to come along to these events, have their say, and change their streets.”
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham mum vows more acts of crochet kindness despite missing postbox toppers
- 3 New developments approved in Barking and Dagenham so far this year
- 4 Barking father's car stolen from driveway
- 5 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 6 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 7 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 8 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 9 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 10 Letter: Climate change and the floods