Billy Bragg slams BNP for hijacking St George's Day
John Phillips BILLY Bragg today (Thursday) blasted the BNP for hijacking St George s Day and trying to turn his home town into the racist capital of Britain . The Barking-born musician condemned the party s exclusive patriotism, saying it was at odds with the area s h
BILLY Bragg today (Thursday) blasted the BNP for hijacking St George's Day and trying to turn his home town into the "racist capital of Britain".
The Barking-born musician condemned the party's exclusive patriotism, saying it was at odds with the area's history that saw migrants flock to the 27,000-home Becontree Estate in Dagenham to work for car giant Ford before World War Two.
Bragg, 51, was speaking at a St George's Day community cohesion conference at Harmony House community centre, Baden Powell Close, Dagenham.
You may also want to watch:
"They're trying to make Barking into a place which is the racist capital of Britain," he added.
"It is not any more or less racist than anywhere else. I object to them coming in here and stirring up fear and division when the story of our town is one of change, of people coming from elsewhere and coming to the borough. It's something we need to concentrate on more."
- 1 Council warns residents after reports of rogue traders in Dagenham
- 2 Barking sign former Leyton Orient duo Elliott Omozusi and Charlie MacDonald
- 3 Queen's Birthday Honours: Badminton club founder gets BEM
- 4 Fairlop woman ordered to pay £1k over Dagenham cigarette littering
- 5 Man in drink driving arrest as overturned car on A13 causes queues
- 6 Barking man arrested after three men injured in Southend
- 7 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower
- 8 Family endures 'horrific leaks' at Dagenham block of flats
- 9 London Assembly member seeks Met assurances over Euro 2020 'disorder'
- 10 Barking and Dagenham district girls fall short in final against Woking
The BNP group, which has the largest representation in England with 12 out of 51 councillors, branded Bragg a "left-wing Labour puppet" who now lived in Dorset and failed to represent the working class.
Their leader Cllr Bob Bailey said: "Billy Bragg is no patriot, he's no friend of England. He hates the English, he hates Britain and what it stands for.