Billy Bragg slams BNP for hijacking St George's Day
John Phillips BILLY Bragg today (Thursday) blasted the BNP for hijacking St George s Day and trying to turn his home town into the racist capital of Britain . The Barking-born musician condemned the party s exclusive patriotism, saying it was at odds with the area s h
BILLY Bragg today (Thursday) blasted the BNP for hijacking St George's Day and trying to turn his home town into the "racist capital of Britain".
The Barking-born musician condemned the party's exclusive patriotism, saying it was at odds with the area's history that saw migrants flock to the 27,000-home Becontree Estate in Dagenham to work for car giant Ford before World War Two.
Bragg, 51, was speaking at a St George's Day community cohesion conference at Harmony House community centre, Baden Powell Close, Dagenham.
You may also want to watch:
"They're trying to make Barking into a place which is the racist capital of Britain," he added.
"It is not any more or less racist than anywhere else. I object to them coming in here and stirring up fear and division when the story of our town is one of change, of people coming from elsewhere and coming to the borough. It's something we need to concentrate on more."
- 1 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 2 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 3 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 4 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 5 Dagenham boss McMahon 'can't wait' for test against big spenders Wrexham
- 6 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 7 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 8 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 9 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 10 Dagenham suffer first defeat away to Wrexham
The BNP group, which has the largest representation in England with 12 out of 51 councillors, branded Bragg a "left-wing Labour puppet" who now lived in Dorset and failed to represent the working class.
Their leader Cllr Bob Bailey said: "Billy Bragg is no patriot, he's no friend of England. He hates the English, he hates Britain and what it stands for.