Billy whizzes in to give Essex a boost
ESSEX have completed the signing of promising young opener Billy Godleman from under the noses of Championship bottom club Middlesex on a three-year deal. The 20-year-old was originally brought to Chelmsford on loan, but has turned down a two-year deal fr
ESSEX have completed the signing of promising young opener Billy Godleman from under the noses of Championship bottom club Middlesex on a three-year deal.
The 20-year-old was originally brought to Chelmsford on loan, but has turned down a two-year deal from Angus Fraser's side to join a team gunning for promotion from Division Two.
"I am looking forward to my time with Essex. I am keen to get into the side and make some good contributions with the bat. I hope to contribute to winning some games of cricket in all formats," he told Essex CCC.
"I spent yesterday [Sunday] watching the game against Worcestershire at Colchester, the vibes in the dressing room are good, although it was obviously a disappointing ending.
"I know most of the players from my time with Middlesex and have been made to feel very welcome by everyone. One of my good friends in the game is Tom Westley, so it will be good to link up with him."
Coach Paul Grayson was delighted to bring the former England under-19 international to the county and believes the player has a bright future in the game. "Billy is a player we targeted earlier in the season," he said.
- 1 Illegal Dagenham puppy farm owners sentenced
- 2 Dagenham fire families receive thousands in donated cash
- 3 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 4 'An incredible privilege’: Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas on 21 years of service
- 5 Liz Truss visits Dagenham youth centre on Tory leadership campaign trail
- 6 West Ham 'couldn't get near' City says Moyes
- 7 Hammers stars surprise hospital patients and staff
- 8 'Affordable' Dagenham housing scheme completed
- 9 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 10 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
"He is a player I have known for a few years. He ticks many boxes for us, he is left handed, English, and extremely driven and motivated. With the retirement of Jason Gallian, Billy is the ideal replacement. He has clear goals for his career and we hope we can help to achieve them at Essex."
Godleman missed out on selection today (Wednesday) for the county match against Leicestershire, where victory would see Essex jump into the promotion places.