Bin plan to be delayed
THE ROLLOUT of wheelie bins to every home has been delayed after councillors objected to how the decision was made, writes Mark Taylor. A special meeting of the scrutiny management board was held at Dagenham Civic Centre on Monday after Cllrs Terry Justic
THE ROLLOUT of wheelie bins to every home has been delayed after councillors objected to how the decision was made, writes Mark Taylor.
A special meeting of the scrutiny management board was held at Dagenham Civic Centre on Monday after Cllrs Terry Justice and John Denyer raised concerns.
Both complained that the results of the pilot scheme should have been presented to all councillors, not just the Executive.
They told the board that members had not been given enough details.
You may also want to watch:
Council Leader Charles Fairbrass replied that adequate details were included in the original report to the Executive, which was sent to all members. He said there was never a commitment to present a report to the full council.
Council officers claimed wheelie bins will save money as they reduce waste by 15 per cent and that popularity increased greatly in pilot areas..
- 1 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
- 2 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 3 Barking and Dagenham MPs react after 'horrific' stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 4 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 5 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 6 Becontree business celebrates 10 years of helping parties go with a swing
- 7 Thousands of 'illegal cigarettes' seized in Barking and Dagenham raids
- 8 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 9 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 10 Ops planned as Barking and Dagenham marks London Trading Standards Week
After a half hour discussion the board decided to ask for the decision to be deferred. All councillors will now be given a presentation on the wheelie bins.