Black pencil as MP's go shy over expenses
THE EXPENSES claims of every MP were published online last week – but some key details have been blacked out prompting suspicions of a cover-up . Commons authorities finally publicised the details of expenses for the past four years after the furore s
THE EXPENSES claims of every MP were published online last week - but some key details have been blacked out prompting suspicions of a "cover-up".
Commons authorities finally publicised the details of expenses for the past four years after the furore surrounding the expenses scandal and a long-running Freedom of Information (FoI) battle.
Prime Minister Gordon Brown welcomed the move, saying it was "in the interests of transparency".
But many of the invoices and receipts have been blacked out so that it is not possible to see exactly what politicians were claiming for.
This has sparked outrage in the media; the national press are calling it a "cover-up".
One national newspaper, the Daily Telegraph, claims they printed the unedited version on Saturday June 20.
- 1 Illegal Dagenham puppy farm owners sentenced
- 2 Council tax rebates totalling £2m remain unclaimed, authority says
- 3 London among areas where drought is declared
- 4 Dagenham fire families receive thousands in donated cash
- 5 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 6 Liz Truss visits Dagenham youth centre on Tory leadership campaign trail
- 7 'An incredible privilege’: Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas on 21 years of service
- 8 ‘It’s like a warzone’: Extent of damage to Ballards Road homes on show following blaze which destroyed 14 houses
- 9 Campaign launched for young people anxious about A Level and GSCE results
- 10 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
FOR FULL STORY SEE THIS WEEK'S POST