BNP councillor Barnbrook faces London Assembly ban
John Phillips BNP Cllr Richard Barnbrook has admitted he knew his claim that there had been three murders in Barking and Dagenham last year, was incorrect when he made it in a video posted on YouTube. The London Assembly member could be suspended for up to six months a
BNP Cllr Richard Barnbrook has admitted he knew his claim that there had been three murders in Barking and Dagenham last year, was incorrect when he made it in a video posted on YouTube.
The London Assembly member could be suspended for up to six months after City Hall investigators found he had brought his office, as well as the Greater London Authority and Barking and Dagenham Council, into disrepute and breached their respective codes.
He told them he knew there had been no fatalities when he stated a young girl had been murdered inside an educational institute and two people had died in knife attacks in the borough in the video clip in September.
On Tuesday, the Goresbrook ward councillor declined to comment after receiving "legal advice".
When interviewed by City Hall investigators, he "expressed regret" over the misleading claim but refused to issue an unequivocal apology.
- 1 Young mother died after flying to Turkey for gastric bypass surgery, inquest hears
- 2 Dagenham cafe fined almost £2k following waste disposal dispute
- 3 Family of woman who died after surgery in Turkey 'to pursue legal action' in search for truth
- 4 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Dagenham woman first UK patient to receive bionic eye implant
- 6 Community comes together in photo shoot for new film studio
- 7 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 8 Parents to appear in court next month over death of baby boy
- 9 McMahon 'really disappointed' to see Dagenham & Redbridge defeated by Stockport
- 10 Barking resident charged over death of baby boy
He told investigators he had meant to say the young girl was from Barking and Dagenham but murdered in Newham and that it "came out wrong" because of the "speed of delivery".
But the investigation showed the video had not been a live recording and he had refused to take it down, despite a BNP party suggestion as he believed the "overall tenor still stood regardless of the misstatement".
He also told investigators he knew the knife victims had not died and were on life support when he made the statement.
City Hall has said Cllr Barnbrook could be forced to apologise, undergo training, or be suspended for up to six months.
A spokesman said last week sanctions would be taken at date to be fixed.
A GLA report on the murder claims stated: "We find that Mr Barnbrook has failed to comply with the code of conduct of both the GLA and the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham, by bringing his office and the respective authorities into disrepute.