Bobby set to dazzle
FORMER Repton amateur title winner Bobby Ward is set to continue his pro-campaign with a contest at the Watford Colosseum show on Saturday, September 5, when he faces Walsall campaigner Steve Gethin. It s the third pro contest inside three months for the
FORMER Repton amateur title winner Bobby Ward is set to continue his pro-campaign with a contest at the Watford Colosseum show on Saturday, September 5, when he faces Walsall campaigner Steve Gethin.
It's the third pro contest inside three months for the 22-year-old super-featherweight prospect, promoted by Hennessy Sports and based at trainer Tony Sims' Hainault gymnasium.
After being given a hotly-disputed draw against Sheffield rival Mo Khaled at Wigan in June, he produced an impressive win over tough Midlands campaigner Sid Razak at York Hall, Bethnal Green, the following month.
Ward, a member of an outstanding fighting family, took a five-year break from action after boxing for both Dagenham and Repton clubs during a title-studded amateur career, which included a win over recent world title winner Amir Khan - the last time that the Bolton superstar was beaten by a British opponent.
You may also want to watch:
Ward faces the 31-year-old Walsall fighter, who has been fighting as a pro for over a decade, and battling with some of boxing's top names - including a 2005 clash with Amir Khan, when he lost on a third-round stoppage at the Braehead Arena in Glasgow.
The Hennessy Sports promotion at the Colosseum, formerly the Watford Town Hall, features title action with the vacant Southern Area welterweight championship clash between old rivals Lee Purdy and Peter McDonagh, and will be televised live on ITV4.
- 1 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 2 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 3 Hospital visitors urged to take Covid lateral flow tests
- 4 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 5 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 6 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 7 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 8 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 9 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 10 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
The pair earlier clashed for the area light-welterweight title at Brentwood, with Purdy suffering a points defeat - the lone setback in his pro campaign.
Also featured on the promotion, Commonwealth welterweight title-holder John O'Donnell faces Tom Glover, who scored an upset win over Jonathan Thaxton in July.
The Hennessy Sports Watford bill also features heavyweight prospect Richard Towers and lightweight Bradley Evans in supporting bout action.
Canadian lightweight Logan McGuinness, undefeated in his six pro contests, is also named for a clash on the undercard.