Bold as brass in national final
FAIRLOP Brass Band has secured a place in the final of the National Brass Band Championships. They were one of 17 bands to perform New World Sketches, by Dan Price. The group, which started life as a school band more than 40 years ago, were the last to ta
FAIRLOP Brass Band has secured a place in the final of the National Brass Band Championships.
They were one of 17 bands to perform New World Sketches, by Dan Price.
The group, which started life as a school band more than 40 years ago, were the last to take to the stage in Stevenage, Herts, in front of music professionals.
Horn player Sheila Ellis, who has been a member for 23 years, said: "It was a really enjoyable piece and fun to play - we've been rehearsing it since Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
"They were judging us on our interpretation of it, and the musicality of the piece."
Their third place was enough to see them through to September's national final, and they will be hoping for a repeat of their 1994 triumph in the competition.
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 Dagenham MP Jon Cruddas in 'crisis' warning over local plan
- 6 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 7 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 8 Urgent call for volunteer stewards at booster jab sites
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Barking and Dagenham to develop planning app in new digital tools pilot
Mrs Ellis, 44, said: "It would be lovely to do it again.
"We're an amateur band and we only rehearse once a week, but I'm confident we can hold our own. This is a great achievement for us.
"We have a couple of members who've been in the band since the word go."
As well as qualifying for the final, the band have been promoted to the competition's first section - a higher grading - for next year.
They rehearse every Monday at St Francis of Assisi Church, Fencepiece Road, Hainault.