Bold as brass in national final
FAIRLOP Brass Band has secured a place in the final of the National Brass Band Championships. They were one of 17 bands to perform New World Sketches, by Dan Price. The group, which started life as a school band more than 40 years ago, were the last to ta
FAIRLOP Brass Band has secured a place in the final of the National Brass Band Championships.
They were one of 17 bands to perform New World Sketches, by Dan Price.
The group, which started life as a school band more than 40 years ago, were the last to take to the stage in Stevenage, Herts, in front of music professionals.
Horn player Sheila Ellis, who has been a member for 23 years, said: "It was a really enjoyable piece and fun to play - we've been rehearsing it since Christmas.
You may also want to watch:
"They were judging us on our interpretation of it, and the musicality of the piece."
Their third place was enough to see them through to September's national final, and they will be hoping for a repeat of their 1994 triumph in the competition.
- 1 Woman brightens up Barking and Dagenham with colourful crochet creations
- 2 'Strong, united community' hailed as plans for hotel in Barking withdrawn
- 3 Appeal for help as girl, 17, reported missing from Dagenham
- 4 Bobby Moore's daughter visits Upney buildings to be named after footballers
- 5 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 6 Walk-in Covid-19 jab events for all adults to be held in Barking
- 7 Exhibition launches to celebrate 100 years of Becontree Estate
- 8 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge
- 9 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 10 Entries open for Barking and Dagenham talent contest
Mrs Ellis, 44, said: "It would be lovely to do it again.
"We're an amateur band and we only rehearse once a week, but I'm confident we can hold our own. This is a great achievement for us.
"We have a couple of members who've been in the band since the word go."
As well as qualifying for the final, the band have been promoted to the competition's first section - a higher grading - for next year.
They rehearse every Monday at St Francis of Assisi Church, Fencepiece Road, Hainault.