Search

Boris Johnson suggests Barking A13 fly-under tunnel as junction closes

PUBLISHED: 15:00 17 February 2015 | UPDATED: 15:56 17 February 2015

Residents are angry about the closure of the right-hand turn from the A13 eastbound into Renwick Road.

Residents are angry about the closure of the right-hand turn from the A13 eastbound into Renwick Road.

Archant

The future of the A13 could lie underground under radical new road-designs measures outlined by the Mayor of London.

The right-hand turn from the A13 eastbound into Renwick Road has now been closed by TfL.The right-hand turn from the A13 eastbound into Renwick Road has now been closed by TfL.

Boris Johnson has announced proposals to install a mini-tunnel under Ripple Road at Barking Riverside in a bid to open up land for future development, although motorists could be charged.

The road was identified as one of five of the busiest stretches of tarmac across the capital, with plans for similar measures suggested for the A4 in Hammersmith, the A3 in Tolworth, the A316 at Chalkers Corner and the A406 in New Southgate.

Council leader Cllr Darren Rodwell said: “The congestion through our borough has a financially damaging impact on the capital and its businesses daily.

“A fly-under would help free a considerable amount of land that could be used for future development.”

A separate A13 development has sparked a petition by motorists to Transport for London (TfL) and the council against the closure of the right-hand turning into Renwick Road, removed on Saturday as part of ongoing improvement works.

Although the move was planned as far back as 2007, many people affected claimed to be unaware of the closure until days ago.

“I was outraged,” said Pete Mason, secretary of Barking Reach residents’ association.

“They should tell us things like this in advance and hold a proper consulatation nearer the time.

“I know it was decided eight years ago, but most of the residents have either moved on or moved in since then.”

While many contacted the Post expressing their concerns about the lack of available information, Barking and Dagenham Council inisted letters were sent to 4,500 affected homes south of the A13.

A spokesman said: “The number of vehicles now using the right-hand turn often exceeds the ability of the filter lane to cope at peak times.

“This can mean traffic is forced to queue in the outside lane of the eastbound carriageway along the A13, which is potentially very dangerous, and residents have complained about it.”

The work is scheduled to last until March 6, causing temporary lane closures on the A13.

To view the petition visit thepetitionsite.com/955/629/513/a13renwick-rd-banned-right-turn


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post