Boxers in the picture
A NEW style boxing show at the old Troxy Cinema in Stepney tomorrow night (Thursday) could bring a new lease of life to the boxing career of local light middleweight George Hillyard. Canning Town fighter Hillyard, whose pro career started with a first rou
A NEW style boxing show at the old Troxy Cinema in Stepney tomorrow night (Thursday) could bring a new lease of life to the boxing career of local light middleweight George Hillyard.
Canning Town fighter Hillyard, whose pro career started with a first round win at Dagenham's Goresbrook Centre four years ago, is featured on the Mickey Helliet promotion at the one time Stepney Cinema, which has been the home of various events for best part of a century.
Hard-punching Hillyard insists that after a stop-start pro campaign, his career could take off in the months ahead. "This will be my year," said the 24-year-old puncher. "I know I have the ability to go beyond the British title and I am not messing around."
He is back in action after a nine-month break to face Tony Randell, a Birmingham fighter he faced in January 2007 when they fought out a draw.
He knows that a good win could set him up for a crowd-pleasing Southern Area title showdown with south London banger Sam Webb, and another victory could send him forward to a British title challenge.
Unbeaten Hackney middleweight Wayne Alwan-Arab faces Wayne Downing on the bill which also also features Phil Gill v Johnny Greaves, Jack Morris v Kenroy Lambert and Vinny Woolford v Bheki Noyo.
- 1 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 2 Barking MP Margaret Hodge 'will not stand' in next general election
- 3 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 4 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 6 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 7 'I am really humbled': New Bishop of Barking appointed
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 10 Google rates the top vegan and vegetarian restaurants in your borough
Tickets are available from 07985 301699.