Boy, 14, stripped in hour-long Dagenham beating
- Credit: Archant
A schoolboy carrying a kitchen knife stripped a 14-year-old of his clothes and attacked him for an hour in Valence Park.
The 15-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was part of a trio who approached the victim in Becontree Avenue, Dagenham, and started punching and kicking him in the chest.
Police were called by a witness who said he heard the victim screaming “leave me alone, you’re hurting me” and “stop stabbing me”.
The boy carried on the assault in front of police as the other attackers ran away.
Though the victim suffered no stab wounds, police found a knife in the 15-year-old’s bag and the victim was left scratched and bruised.
The attacker held his head in his hands as magistrates were shown seven photographs of injuries to the victim’s face and torso at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
Defence lawyer Henna Baig said it was possible her client was “not himself” during the November 20 attack last year.
- 1 Dagenham cafe fined almost £2k following waste disposal dispute
- 2 Barking resident charged over death of baby boy
- 3 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 4 Five appear in court charged with drugs offences after dawn raids
- 5 Car park killing: Witness describes moment John Avers was run over
- 6 Car park killing: 'Distressing' CCTV shows victim being run over four times
- 7 Patients with Covid in east London hospitals fall after rising for weeks
- 8 'Something is going on': Second dead rabbit found in a week
- 9 Dodgy landlord ordered to pay £64k over illegal HMO on Ripple Road
- 10 Man hospitalised after being found in Mayesbrook Park
“He states he can’t remember what happened on the day and he wasn’t feeling himself,” she said. “He says it wasn’t his knife and he was holding it for a friend.”
The court also heard that the boy’s remorse for what he’d done had led him to self-harm and that he had considered suicide.
The boy appeared in court with his mother, who said he was struggling with the ill health of his father when he carried out the assault.
She said she partly blamed herself for the attack as her son wiped tears from his face.
“He’s always been a thoughtful child,” she said. “I took my eye off the ball and didn’t realise his state of mind – this is a different child completely.”
Magistrate Myrna Gilbert said she had no choice but to detain the youth.
“This was a heinous attack, it was a sustained attack,” she said. “It was unprovoked and on an unknown young 14-year-old victim.
“It was a group assault and it involved humiliation.”
The boy was given a six-month detention and training order for the assault and a four-month detention and training order for possessing a knife to run concurrently.
A £20 surcharge was imposed and the boy is seeing a psychiatrist.