Breaking: Warren School to become academy after unsuccessful High Court appeal
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Warren School will become an academy in September after an attempt by parents and governors to challenge the decision was today thrown out by the High Court,
Education Secretary Michael Gove made the controversial plan to take the Chadwell Heath school out of council control after Ofsted put the school in special measures last year - despite widespread resistance.
A statement released by Barking and Dagenham Council said it was “very disappointed” by the ruling.
“The court has decided that the Secretary of State’s decision, whilst not in our opinion in the best interests of the children’s education at The Warren, is not unlawful,” it said.
“The staff at The Warren School and the Local Authority will continue to prioritise the interests of the children as they move forward from this decision.
You may also want to watch:
“We are currently considering the judgement and are unable to comment further at this time.”
During a public consultation, 85 per cent of respondents were in favour of the school remaining a local authority school while working with Robert Clack School to make improvements.
- 1 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 4 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
- 5 Ops planned as Barking and Dagenham marks London Trading Standards Week
- 6 Dagenham advance in FA Cup with two late goals at Wealdstone
- 7 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 8 Stephen Port inquests: Detective apologises to families for mistakes
- 9 'Life is hard, why make it harder?': Protesters call for new consultation over parking scheme roll out
- 10 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
Jon Cruddas MP has previously described Mr Gove’s decision as treating the school with “absolute derision and contempt”.
More reaction to the news to follow.