Brielle is competing with the best of them
COMPETE TENNIS player Brielle Koulen made the final of the LTA under-16 girls singles event in Northamptonshire last week. After cruising through her qualifying rounds, with wins over Sophia Rolt and Abbie Reynolds, the teenager saw off Eva Dench 6-3, 3-
COMPETE TENNIS player Brielle Koulen made the final of the LTA under-16 girls' singles event in Northamptonshire last week.
After cruising through her qualifying rounds, with wins over Sophia Rolt and Abbie Reynolds, the teenager saw off Eva Dench 6-3, 3-6, 1-0.
Her good form continued in the quarter-finals, as Sophie Morrill was dispatched
6-1, 6-2, while in the semi-finals, Anneka Watts was thrashed 6-1, 6-1.
She came up against Sophie Watts in the final, a player ranked much higher and battled well, but eventually succumbed 6-4, 5-7, 1-0.
Fellow Compete member Marie Ba won both her qualifying matches, but was beaten via a walkover in the main event.
- 1 Local makers market coming to Barking Riverside this Christmas
- 2 Chance of snow in London this weekend
- 3 Residents without Covid jab should be challenged, senior councillor says
- 4 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 5 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 6 Covid-19: How Barking and Dagenham's figures compare to last year
- 7 Man facing 'lifelong consequences' of Barking traffic cone assault
- 8 Man arrested, two taken to hospital after Dagenham crash
- 9 Met Police arrest more than 900 in London-wide knife crime op
- 10 Dagenham's injury problems building up ahead of Notts County trip
Woodford Green player Joe Woolerton, 17, reached the second round of the HRT Autumn Cup boys' doubles event in Denmark.
Paired with Finland's Juuso Laitinen, the duo defeated British sixth seeds Christopher Helliar and James Hignett 2-6, 7-6, 10-8, in an excellent performance.
They couldn't follow that up, though, and went down 7-6, 6-0 to Rasmus Niklas-Salmine and Henrik Sillanpaa from Finland.
Lewis Thompson from South Woodford went to Glasgow for an LTA under-16 indoor series event and lost in three close sets to the number one seed, who eventually went on to win the tournament.
This week, a number of Compete players are in action at a series of LTA Grand Prix events.
Omari Whyne, Marshall Tutu, David Wright and Brielle Koulen take part in the under-18s event in Sunderland, while Koulen is also entered into the under-16 tournament in Bath.
Jared Linzell, Oliver Bickley, Marie Ba and Sian Green will play in the under-14s event at Bath, while Joe Woolerton competes in the Woodford Wells Grade Three Junior tournament.