Search

Brigade’s cigarette warning after Barking house fire

PUBLISHED: 11:52 20 June 2017 | UPDATED: 11:52 20 June 2017

The fire is believed to have been caused by a cigarette (File photo: Jonathan Brady/PA)

The fire is believed to have been caused by a cigarette (File photo: Jonathan Brady/PA)

PA Wire/PA Images

The London Fire Brigade has warned about the importance of putting cigarettes completely out after one is believed to have sparked a Barking house fire.

Crews were called to Chelmer Crescent in the early hours of yesterday morning, where they rescued a man from the first floor of a terraced property.

He was treated at the scene and taken to hospital as a precaution.

The fire took just over an hour to get under control and damaged around a quarter of the property’s ground floor.

A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “If you’re a smoker it’s absolutely vital you ensure your cigarette is completely out when you’ve finished smoking it.

“If you don’t, you risk causing a fire which could not only destroy your home, but also cost you your life.”

Smokers are also advised never to smoke in bed and take extra care when tired or have been drinking alcohol.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post