Unattended candle causes Dagenham flat fire, brigade says
- Credit: Google
A warning about candle safety has been made following a fire.
Part of a first floor flat was damaged by the blaze in Broad Street, Dagenham, on April 2.
One man fled the building before the fire brigade arrived after being called at 2.22am.
The fire was under control by 3.29am. Four fire engines and about 25 firefighters from Dagenham, Ilford and Barking fire stations were at the scene.
The man was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation by paramedics.
You may also want to watch:
Fire investigators believe the blaze was caused by a tea light candle which had been left unattended.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: "Candles are one of the most common causes of fire.
- 1 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 2 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 3 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 4 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 5 Barking and Dagenham pubs and bars reopen for outdoor service
- 6 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 7 Jailed: ‘Extremely dangerous’ Dagenham man who plotted terrorist attack
- 8 Police officer sacked after 'encouraging friend to lie about collision'
- 9 Becontree Estate designed after Spanish Flu 'helped prevent Covid deaths'
- 10 Light festival sees cyclists brighten up Barking and Dagenham streets
"It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from curtains and anything else that can easily catch fire.
"They should always be kept in a sturdy fire resistant candleholder. You could consider swapping your traditional candles for safer, LED flameless ones."
She added the incident is a reminder about the importance of having smoke alarms. The man was alerted to the blaze by one.