IN 1974, 19-year-old Michael Peterson decided he wanted to make a name for himself. So, armed with a home-made sawn-off shotgun, he tried to rob a post office. He was quickly caught and sentenced to seven years in jail. But Peterson has been behind bars f
IN 1974, 19-year-old Michael Peterson decided he wanted to make a name for himself.
So, armed with a home-made sawn-off shotgun, he tried to rob a post office.
He was quickly caught and sentenced to seven years in jail.
But Peterson has been behind bars for 34 years, 30 of them in solitary confinement, thanks to his penchant for taking guards hostage, assaulting wardens and fellow inmates and conducting violent protests.
You may also want to watch:
BRONSON (18) tells his true story.
Having changed his name to Charles Bronson, in tribute to the American Death Wish movie actor, he is now infamous as Britain's most dangerous prisoner.
- 1 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 2 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 3 Footage issued of man sought in Maria Rawlings murder investigation
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 'Woke rubbish': Losing candidate on stir over 'unspellable' names comment
- 6 Chadwell Heath woman fined after not reporting Iron Age coin find
- 7 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 8 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 9 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 10 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
Tom Hardy, who plays the title character, says: "The opportunity to play such a complex and tormented real life character was a unique challenge for me and one that required a great level of commitment and understanding."
Director Nicholas Winding Refn adds: "It is Bronson's unending thirst for celebrity that has kept him in prison for so long.
"And it was this particular aspect of his personality that we tried to capture in the fim."
Hardy made his name in the award-winning TV mini series Band of Brothers and starred in Ridley Scott's war thriller Black Hawk Down.
TV actors Matt King, the crack-addicted Super Hans in sitcom Peep Show, Silent Witness and The Commander star Amanda Burton and James Lance, from Teachers and Absolute Power, co-star.