WHEN a decorated Marine goes missing overseas, his black-sheep younger brother cares for his wife and children at home – with consequences that will shake the foundation of the entire family. BROTHERS (15) stars Tobey Maguire as Captain Sam Cahill, for wh
WHEN a decorated Marine goes missing overseas, his black-sheep younger brother cares for his wife and children at home - with consequences that will shake the foundation of the entire family.
BROTHERS (15) stars Tobey Maguire as Captain Sam Cahill, for which he received a Golden Globe nomination, and Jake Gyllenhaal as younger brother Tommy.
The pair are complete opposites. About to embark on his fourth tour of duty, Sam is a steadfast family man married to his high school sweetheart, Grace (Natalie Portman), with whom he has two young daughters.
Tommy is a drifter just out of jail who's always got by on wit and charm. He slides easily into his role as family provocateur on his first night out of prison, at Sam's farewell dinner with their parents, Elsie and Hank.
You may also want to watch:
Shipped out to Afghanistan, Sam is presumed dead when his Black Hawk helicopter is shot down in the mountains. At home in suburbia, the Cahill family suddenly faces a shocking void, and Tommy tries to fill in for his brother by assuming newfound responsibility for himself, Grace, and the children.
But Sam is not dead; he and a fellow soldier have been captured by Taliban fighters.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 5 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 8 Dagenham on the way back up after FA Cup comeback
- 9 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 10 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
In Afghanistan's harsh, remote Pamir Mountains, Sam is subjected to traumas that threaten to rob him of his very humanity.
At the same time that Sam's sense of self is being destroyed overseas, Tommy's self-image is strengthening at home.
And in the grief and strangeness of their new lives, Grace and Tommy are naturally drawn together.
When Sam unexpectedly returns, he grows suspicious of his brother and his wife. In the shifting family dynamics, who will dominate?
And how will the brothers come to terms with issues of love and loyalty, and the woman caught between them?