Brothers in Orbit for Get Loaded
DANCE music and festival legends Orbital are renowned for their live performances and their rave anthem, Chime. This summer, the duo – brothers Phil and Paul Hartnoll – return to the festival arena and their only London performance will be at Get Loaded i
DANCE music and festival legends Orbital are renowned for their live performances and their rave anthem, Chime.
This summer, the duo - brothers Phil and Paul Hartnoll - return to the festival arena and their only London performance will be at Get Loaded in the Park, Clapham, on Sunday, August 30.
Matt Trollope caught up with Paul ahead of the event:
Welcome back guys. How does it feel to be embarking on a return to the festival circuit this summer?
You may also want to watch:
It's really exciting to be back and we're both looking forward to what looks set to be a fantastic summer. Let's hope the sun shines!
What were your reasons for coming back?
- 1 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 2 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 3 Father's Day: Fond memories of Dagenham 'gent' with 'a heart of gold'
- 4 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 5 Woman organises do after Covid-19 restrictions force school in Dagenham to cancel prom
- 6 Man wanted in criminal damage investigation
- 7 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 8 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 10 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
Well we always said "never say never", but I think the timing was just right. We had both done solo records and worked on different solo projects. I have been working on a film score and scoring music for adverts, but you do miss going out and playing the old tracks live.
How much are you looking forward Get Loaded in the Park?
We are both really excited. It's going to be a great moment as the sun sets over Clapham Common.
What can we expect from the new show?
There is no new record, so people can expect the old favourites. There will be no messing about, it's going to be a fun-packed show!
Which Orbital tune are you most looking forward to playing live again?
It's always great playing Chime; always a great moment.
Get Loaded in the Park takes place on Clapham Common... scene of many a rave or an after party way back when. What memories do you have of the Common?
It's sketchy, but I do remember Clapham having some huge warehouse parties that would go on for days... people are probably living in loft apartments there now!
What was the rave scene like in general when you first started out?
It was just a lot of fun, nothing was particularly well organised and that was its charm... it was just a lot of friends setting up a spontaneous party and playing the music we wanted to hear.
Was there a defining moment that stands out for you from that era?
For Orbital, I think playing at Glastonbury in 1994 was a defining moment for us. Looking out and seeing 50,000 people dancing to your music was very surreal and obviously very exciting.
Which current artists are floating your boat at the moment?
I hear you'll be making it a family occasion at Get Loaded in the Park.
Yes we'll have our kids there I'm sure... unless they think they're too cool to be watching their dads!
* The Recorder is giving away a pair of tickets to Get Loaded in the Park. See this week's Recorder for details on how you could win.