Brothers in Orbit for Get Loaded
DANCE music and festival legends Orbital are renowned for their live performances and their rave anthem, Chime. This summer, the duo – brothers Phil and Paul Hartnoll – return to the festival arena and their only London performance will be at Get Loaded i
DANCE music and festival legends Orbital are renowned for their live performances and their rave anthem, Chime.
This summer, the duo - brothers Phil and Paul Hartnoll - return to the festival arena and their only London performance will be at Get Loaded in the Park, Clapham, on Sunday, August 30.
Matt Trollope caught up with Paul ahead of the event:
Welcome back guys. How does it feel to be embarking on a return to the festival circuit this summer?
It's really exciting to be back and we're both looking forward to what looks set to be a fantastic summer. Let's hope the sun shines!
What were your reasons for coming back?
- 1 'Something is going on': Second dead rabbit found in a week
- 2 Car park murder: Witness describes moment John Avers was run over
- 3 Man hospitalised after being found in Mayesbrook Park
- 4 Barking resident charged over death of baby boy
- 5 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 6 Dodgy landlord ordered to pay £64k over illegal HMO on Ripple Road
- 7 Barking and Dagenham set for 250 new electric vehicle charging points
- 8 Car park murder: 'Distressing' CCTV shows victim being run over four times
- 9 Car park murder: Victim's wife tells trial about the last text he sent her
- 10 Man run over four times embroiled in row over £40,000, murder trial told
Well we always said "never say never", but I think the timing was just right. We had both done solo records and worked on different solo projects. I have been working on a film score and scoring music for adverts, but you do miss going out and playing the old tracks live.
How much are you looking forward Get Loaded in the Park?
We are both really excited. It's going to be a great moment as the sun sets over Clapham Common.
What can we expect from the new show?
There is no new record, so people can expect the old favourites. There will be no messing about, it's going to be a fun-packed show!
Which Orbital tune are you most looking forward to playing live again?
It's always great playing Chime; always a great moment.
Get Loaded in the Park takes place on Clapham Common... scene of many a rave or an after party way back when. What memories do you have of the Common?
It's sketchy, but I do remember Clapham having some huge warehouse parties that would go on for days... people are probably living in loft apartments there now!
What was the rave scene like in general when you first started out?
It was just a lot of fun, nothing was particularly well organised and that was its charm... it was just a lot of friends setting up a spontaneous party and playing the music we wanted to hear.
Was there a defining moment that stands out for you from that era?
For Orbital, I think playing at Glastonbury in 1994 was a defining moment for us. Looking out and seeing 50,000 people dancing to your music was very surreal and obviously very exciting.
Which current artists are floating your boat at the moment?
I hear you'll be making it a family occasion at Get Loaded in the Park.
Yes we'll have our kids there I'm sure... unless they think they're too cool to be watching their dads!
* The Recorder is giving away a pair of tickets to Get Loaded in the Park. See this week's Recorder for details on how you could win.