Burglary top of the hit list
BURGLARIES and violence are the main challenges for police in the borough as overall crime rates have risen in the past year. By far the largest increase has been in residential burglary which rose by a massive 78 per cent, from 855 to 1,414. DCI Ellie O
BURGLARIES and violence are the main challenges for police in the borough as overall crime rates have risen in the past year.
By far the largest increase has been in residential burglary which rose by a massive 78 per cent, from 855 to 1,414.
DCI Ellie O'Connor said: "Unfortunately from November last year we started to see a significant increase in burglaries.
"We're trying to get public awareness up and need the intelligence from the public.
You may also want to watch:
"The age profile has changed, and many young people are now turning to burglary," she said.
Urging people to be more aware, the message to householders is to double-lock their doors and report anything suspicious to the police.
- 1 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 3 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 4 Former council offices to be transformed into 'workspace and cultural hub'
- 5 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 6 Barking butcher 'thankful' for loyal customers through pandemic
- 7 Timeline: Who was Stephen Port and when were his murders uncovered?
- 8 Dagenham school receives Unicef UK award
- 9 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 10 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
"We have done an awful lot of work like Operation Secure across the whole borough, and first time crime prevention advice which is free of charge.
"We visit pawnbrokers and second hand shops and we have put extra staff on duty in plainclothes who patrol the markets to see if they can identify stolen property," said DCI O'Connor.
"Barking and Dagenham had the best burglary figures of London.
"I want it to get back there but I need help from the public."
Domestic crime and robbery are also on the increase but motor vehicle crime has been slashed by over 13 per cent.
The number of sexual offences other than rape has been reduced by 40 per cent, however rape itself has risen by over a third, from 52 to 68, which is a rise of around 30 per cent.
The full list can be accessed on http://www.met.police.uk/crimefigures/datatable.php?borough=kg&period=year.
Anyone who would like to give inform the police of suspicious or illegal activities anonymously should call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.