�45m development takes shape in Barking
A �45million development comprising flats, a supermarket and a skills academy is taking shape in Barking Town Centre.
The London Road scheme will feature a new Asda store, 100 apartments and 360 parking spaces.
The 86,000 sq ft supermarket will replace the existing Asda store at Vicarage Field Shopping Centre in Ripple Road from 2015.
The Bouygues development will also include a new Technical Skills Academy, which is currently under construction.
The academy will give teenagers NVQ and City & Guilds qualifications and is set to open this autumn.
You may also want to watch:
Regeneration cabinet member, Cllr Cameron Geddes, said: “New jobs, additional car parking, improved accessibility, increased footfall and investment and a host of public realm improvements will create the right mix of ingredients to help local people and businesses prosper.
“The development will realise the council’s wider regeneration plans for the area.”
- 1 Is the Becontree estate in Barking and Dagenham really a Covid hotspot?
- 2 Town hall backs Dagenham freeport bid
- 3 Heritage: How greyhound enthusiast's 1960s betting coup failed
- 4 Hundreds of shops found not complying with Covid rules
- 5 Dagenham rallies round to make memories for family of 'joyful, little' tot with cancer
- 6 Dagenham fight back to seal win over King's Lynn
- 7 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 8 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 9 Man recalled to prison after persistent anti-social behaviour in Dagenham cul de sac
- 10 Organisers seek former Mayesbrook teachers to join school reunion