Administrators confirm Birthdays store in Barking to close
The Birthdays store in Barking could be closed as early as Monday as administrators for owners Clinton Cards announce about 350 stores are set to close.
Phased closures, starting this Monday (21) and running into June, include all stores branded as Birthdays and approximately 200 Clinton Cards branded stores.
Peter Saville, Simon Freakley and Anne O‟Keefe, Partners at Corporate Advisory and Restructuring specialists Zolfo Cooper, said they have “regrettably” taken the decision to start closing stores from the 784 nationwide.
Those affected are located throughout the country and employ approximately 2800 full time and part time staff, administrators announced late yesterday afternoon. Eight are based at the store in Vicarage Field Shopping Centre, Ripple Road, Barking.
Peter Saville, Joint Administrator and Partner at Zolfo Cooper said: “Given the sheer size of the Clinton Cards retail estate and the overall performance, we were left with no alternative to today’s difficult decision.
“I am hopeful that the action we have taken will allow us to preserve value in the core underlying business, thereby allowing us and potential buyers to focus on a profitable and viable retail estate going forward.”
The 8,000-staff chain went into administration last Wednesday with accumulated costs and debts of more than �130million.
- 1 Dagenham man fined within hours of fly-tipping at bus stop
- 2 Dagenham man jailed for 12 years for punching to death Marius Lakavicius
- 3 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 4 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 5 Police appeal after intruder reportedly enters Barking home and threatens woman with knife
- 6 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 7 Zouma brothers to face the courts amid animal abuse allegations
- 8 'Beautiful skin and incredible smile': What happened when the Queen visited a Dagenham school
- 9 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 10 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
Exact locations, timings and employee numbers will be confirmed shortly.