Administrators confirm Birthdays store in Barking to close
The Birthdays store in Barking could be closed as early as Monday as administrators for owners Clinton Cards announce about 350 stores are set to close.
Phased closures, starting this Monday (21) and running into June, include all stores branded as Birthdays and approximately 200 Clinton Cards branded stores.
Peter Saville, Simon Freakley and Anne O‟Keefe, Partners at Corporate Advisory and Restructuring specialists Zolfo Cooper, said they have “regrettably” taken the decision to start closing stores from the 784 nationwide.
Those affected are located throughout the country and employ approximately 2800 full time and part time staff, administrators announced late yesterday afternoon. Eight are based at the store in Vicarage Field Shopping Centre, Ripple Road, Barking.
Peter Saville, Joint Administrator and Partner at Zolfo Cooper said: “Given the sheer size of the Clinton Cards retail estate and the overall performance, we were left with no alternative to today’s difficult decision.
You may also want to watch:
“I am hopeful that the action we have taken will allow us to preserve value in the core underlying business, thereby allowing us and potential buyers to focus on a profitable and viable retail estate going forward.”
The 8,000-staff chain went into administration last Wednesday with accumulated costs and debts of more than �130million.
- 1 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 2 Barking and Dagenham pubs and bars reopen for outdoor service
- 3 Becontree Estate designed after Spanish Flu 'helped prevent Covid deaths'
- 4 Jailed: ‘Extremely dangerous’ Dagenham man who plotted terrorist attack
- 5 Light festival sees cyclists brighten up Barking and Dagenham streets
- 6 Views sought on Sebastian Court community space
- 7 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 8 BHRUT in capsule trial for detecting colorectal cancer
- 9 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 10 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
Exact locations, timings and employee numbers will be confirmed shortly.