Almost 400 jobs at threat at Muller’s Chadwell Heath dairy
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of jobs are at risk at Muller’s dairy operation.
The company proposes a “phased wind down” of its Chadwell Heath operation which would threaten up to 389 permanent posts.
Managing director of Müller milk and ingredients Andrew McInnes said: “Regrettably, it is clear the dairy is no longer economically viable. It requires complete overhaul and modernisation.
“In an industry which has struggled for many years we cannot justify committing the level of investment required to bring this site to an acceptable and sustainable level of performance.”
Muller bosses, who took over the site from Dairy Crest in December last year, will enter into talks with dairy staff later this month in a 45 day “consultation”.
You may also want to watch:
The news, announced yesterday, came at the same time as the company announced proposals for a £60m investment in separate facilities in Gloucestershire and Lincolnshire.
Mr McInnes added: “We will listen to our colleagues and rigorously assess the situation in Chadwell Heath before arriving at a decision.”
- 1 Jo Richardson pupils offered 'hug in a mug' in lockdown
- 2 Views sought on next stage of Gascoigne Estate's redevelopment
- 3 Tributes to 'much-loved' volunteer with a passion for Dagenham history
- 4 Tot with cancer enjoys 'brilliant' fun day outside home in Dagenham
- 5 London mayoral candidate 'fined' after digital campaign bus visits Dagenham
- 6 Is the Becontree estate in Barking and Dagenham really a Covid hotspot?
- 7 Barking and Dagenham's Holocaust Memorial Day plans unveiled
- 8 'Help people find moments of beauty within the trauma': BHRUT chaplain supports staff during pandemic
- 9 Hundreds of shops found not complying with Covid rules
- 10 Rapid Covid-19 test site for people without symptoms open in Dagenham