Almost 400 jobs at threat at Muller’s Chadwell Heath dairy
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of jobs are at risk at Muller’s dairy operation.
The company proposes a “phased wind down” of its Chadwell Heath operation which would threaten up to 389 permanent posts.
Managing director of Müller milk and ingredients Andrew McInnes said: “Regrettably, it is clear the dairy is no longer economically viable. It requires complete overhaul and modernisation.
“In an industry which has struggled for many years we cannot justify committing the level of investment required to bring this site to an acceptable and sustainable level of performance.”
Muller bosses, who took over the site from Dairy Crest in December last year, will enter into talks with dairy staff later this month in a 45 day “consultation”.
You may also want to watch:
The news, announced yesterday, came at the same time as the company announced proposals for a £60m investment in separate facilities in Gloucestershire and Lincolnshire.
Mr McInnes added: “We will listen to our colleagues and rigorously assess the situation in Chadwell Heath before arriving at a decision.”
- 1 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 2 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 3 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 4 Barking and Dagenham pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 5 Second World War bomb pulled from River Thames in Barking
- 6 Council reveals new debt collection service to cut need for enforcement
- 7 Rainbow lights 'signal hope' as part of Barking and Dagenham festival
- 8 Jailed: Burglar who drove on wrong side of road trying to flee police
- 9 Barking MP receives 'disgusting' Holocaust email over Covid-19 vaccine passports
- 10 Pedestrian crossing improvements after campaign by Dagenham pupils