Almost 400 jobs at threat at Muller’s Chadwell Heath dairy
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of jobs are at risk at Muller’s dairy operation.
The company proposes a “phased wind down” of its Chadwell Heath operation which would threaten up to 389 permanent posts.
Managing director of Müller milk and ingredients Andrew McInnes said: “Regrettably, it is clear the dairy is no longer economically viable. It requires complete overhaul and modernisation.
“In an industry which has struggled for many years we cannot justify committing the level of investment required to bring this site to an acceptable and sustainable level of performance.”
Muller bosses, who took over the site from Dairy Crest in December last year, will enter into talks with dairy staff later this month in a 45 day “consultation”.
You may also want to watch:
The news, announced yesterday, came at the same time as the company announced proposals for a £60m investment in separate facilities in Gloucestershire and Lincolnshire.
Mr McInnes added: “We will listen to our colleagues and rigorously assess the situation in Chadwell Heath before arriving at a decision.”
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 2 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
- 3 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 4 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 5 Manager celebrates 25 years working for supermarket
- 6 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 7 Deadline looming to comment on proposed constituency changes
- 8 College student selected as national finalist with pearly king photo series
- 9 Arts centre in Barking selects artists for Black Art Matters project
- 10 Dagenham 88 Runners returned to parkrun action and tackled ELVIS race