Almost 400 jobs at threat at Muller’s Chadwell Heath dairy
- Credit: Archant
Hundreds of jobs are at risk at Muller’s dairy operation.
The company proposes a “phased wind down” of its Chadwell Heath operation which would threaten up to 389 permanent posts.
Managing director of Müller milk and ingredients Andrew McInnes said: “Regrettably, it is clear the dairy is no longer economically viable. It requires complete overhaul and modernisation.
“In an industry which has struggled for many years we cannot justify committing the level of investment required to bring this site to an acceptable and sustainable level of performance.”
Muller bosses, who took over the site from Dairy Crest in December last year, will enter into talks with dairy staff later this month in a 45 day “consultation”.
You may also want to watch:
The news, announced yesterday, came at the same time as the company announced proposals for a £60m investment in separate facilities in Gloucestershire and Lincolnshire.
Mr McInnes added: “We will listen to our colleagues and rigorously assess the situation in Chadwell Heath before arriving at a decision.”
- 1 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 2 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 7 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 8 Daggers boss McMahon 'very pleased' with Southend United victory
- 9 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 10 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete