Apprenticeship helps Dagenham student land first full-time job
- Credit: Archant
Getting work after college was a struggle for one student, but an apprenticeship with a local company has seen her land that all important first job.
Rochelle Rhodes, 20, left Barking and Dagenham College with a level 3 business administration qualification, but found it hard to get work so signed on.
It was the job centre who put here in touch with Liberty Credit Union, based in Vicarage Fields Shopping Centre, Barking, where she has been working ten hours a week as an apprentice.
“A lot of it is confidence because obviously if your out of work for ages you lose confidence,” said Rochelle, of Stevens Road, Dagenham.
Seven months at the company, and volunteering on the side, has allowed her to gain the work experience and training that was crucial to landing her new full-time job in the cash office at Barking and Dagenham Council.
You may also want to watch:
Rochelle said: “I was so elated when I got the job. It’s a relief really because you feel a lot of pressure when you don’t have a full-time job.
“I have a big family and the first thing they ask when they see me is ‘How’s the job hunt going?’. At last I can say that I have got a job!”
- 1 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 2 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 3 New Covid test site opening in Barking this weekend
- 4 More than half of people in Barking and Dagenham may have had Covid, data shows
- 5 Appeal after shots fired at house in Dagenham
- 6 Town hall to decide on bid for Dagenham freeport
- 7 Appeal to find witness who comforted woman hit by a car in Barking
- 8 Doctors and nurses 'exhausted' as hospitals reach breaking point
- 9 Rapid Covid-19 test site for people without symptoms open in Dagenham
- 10 Samuel Garside House fire review prompts questions over responsibility
She said she would recommend apprenticeships to others, adding: “It is really good having qualifications but work places would rather you had work experience. As an apprentice you get the best of both”.