Barking and Dagenham businesses urged to join fight against acid attacks
- Credit: Archant
Shop owners are being urged to help in the fight against “evil” acid attacks.
Barking and Dagenham Council leader Cllr Darren Rodwell has said that he wants “all responsible traders” to work with the police and the council to tackle the problem.
“We can’t be too safe,” he said. “We all need to do what we can to make sure we keep acid related products out of young hands.
“This means not only refusing to sell to anyone who appears young but to put corrosive liquids behind the counter.”
He praised Dagenham business SG Plumbing Supplies, who keep drain cleaners behind the counter of their Green Lane store and regularly tells youngsters to leave the shop when they ask for corrosive substances.
You may also want to watch:
The call comes after Cllr Rodwell said the council would look at evicting council tenants “who are involved in outrageous criminal acts such as these evil acid attacks”.
- 1 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 2 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 3 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 4 New community food club set to open in Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 6 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 7 Barking and Dagenham, Newham named priority areas by Arts Council
- 8 The tea room in a country park 'building a community' in Dagenham
- 9 Revellers descend on Dagenham for We Are FSTVL
- 10 Weekly Covid cases across east London revealed