Barking and Dagenham fashion shops could shut before April
Two Bonmarche shops have been earmarked for closure in Barking and Dagenham.
The fashion stores in East Street, Barking, and Heathway, Dagenham, face the axe under a move to shut 165 shops with the loss of more than 1,300 staff by the end of March.
The announcment came after the budget fashion chain was taken over by private equity firm Sun European Partners last month.
Bonmarche said today that 230 stores would remain open, adding that the closure plans could be revised following talks with its stakeholders.
A spokesman said: “The demise of the local high street, the decline in customer spend in the current economic climate, along with rising costs and has made trading very difficult.
You may also want to watch:
“To ensure the company can be placed on sound economic footing, it is anticipated that approximately 165 stores will close.
“Both the Barking and Dagenham stores are currently earmarked for closure. However, such stores are being constantly reviewed and careful consideration given.
- 1 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 2 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 3 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 4 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 5 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 6 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 7 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 8 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 9 Dagenham charity set up in memory of 'unique' man offers help to youngsters
- 10 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
“We are in discussions with landlords and councils to reduce costs and improve town amenities. We are looking at the convenience of the customers and the distance they will have to travel to an open store.”