Barking and Dagenham youngsters win top money-managing prize
- Credit: Archant
A team of financially-savvy youngsters have won a top prize in a prestigious nationwide money management competition.
Christmas on a Budget, a group from Barking and Dagenham Foyer, were named People’s Prize winners at the southern England final of Lloyds Banking Group’s Money for Life Challenge yesterday.
The eight-person team presented their project to a panel of judges and guests at Chelsea FC’s Stamford Bridge stadium, demonstrating an ability to improve the economic skills of those around them.
Over a three-month period, they set about educating members of the local community about how to best minimise costs around the festive season, thanks to a £500 grant from Money for Life.
After winning the vote of the other attendees at the final, the team will now pitch their project at the UK Grand Final on May 28, competing against others from across Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
You may also want to watch:
David Rowsell, head of the Money for Life Programme at Lloyds Banking Group said: “This year’s challenge has seen teams demonstrate a high standard of innovation and commitment and the judges were hugely impressed by our national finalists.
“We are thrilled to see that many of them have already had a positive and measurable impact in their communities.”
- 1 Station Parade traffic curbs get green light
- 2 Letters: Covid rules, tenants' manifesto, Streetspace, help RAF veterans and support children's charity
- 3 More than half of people in Barking and Dagenham may have had Covid, data shows
- 4 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 5 Have the Covid-19 vaccine when the NHS contacts you
- 6 Appeal after shots fired at house in Dagenham
- 7 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 8 Council admits there is a 'long way to go' before 'cracking' the virus
- 9 Appeal to find witness who comforted woman hit by a car in Barking
- 10 New Covid test site opening in Barking this weekend