Barking and Dagenham youngsters win top money-managing prize
- Credit: Archant
A team of financially-savvy youngsters have won a top prize in a prestigious nationwide money management competition.
Christmas on a Budget, a group from Barking and Dagenham Foyer, were named People’s Prize winners at the southern England final of Lloyds Banking Group’s Money for Life Challenge yesterday.
The eight-person team presented their project to a panel of judges and guests at Chelsea FC’s Stamford Bridge stadium, demonstrating an ability to improve the economic skills of those around them.
Over a three-month period, they set about educating members of the local community about how to best minimise costs around the festive season, thanks to a £500 grant from Money for Life.
After winning the vote of the other attendees at the final, the team will now pitch their project at the UK Grand Final on May 28, competing against others from across Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
You may also want to watch:
David Rowsell, head of the Money for Life Programme at Lloyds Banking Group said: “This year’s challenge has seen teams demonstrate a high standard of innovation and commitment and the judges were hugely impressed by our national finalists.
“We are thrilled to see that many of them have already had a positive and measurable impact in their communities.”
- 1 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 2 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 3 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 4 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Tossed cigarette costs Dagenham man more than £600
- 6 Man who controlled Ipswich drug line jailed for five years
- 7 Barking and Dagenham rallies to give friends a prom night to remember
- 8 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 9 Dagenham MP seeks views on CPZs after 'hundreds raise concerns'
- 10 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend