Barking Birthdays shop to close within a week
The Birthdays store in Barking is set to close within a week, administrators confirmed today (Friday).
Zolfo Cooper said a further 122 Clinton Cards and Birthdays stores not included in the sale of Clinton Cards to Lakeshore Lending Limited earlier this month are to close by Thursday June 21.
The 8,000-staff chain went into administration in May with accumulated costs and debts of more than �130million.
Eight staff are based at the store in Vicarage Field Shopping Centre, Ripple Road, Barking.
On 7 June 2012, it was announced that the brands and assets of Clinton Cards, including 397 stores, had been purchased by Lakeshore Lending Limited (Lakeshore), a subsidiary of American Greetings Corporation.
However, 330 stores were not included in the sale and remained under the control of the administrators. 43 of these stores were closed on June 8 and now a further 122 stores will cease trading by June 21.
At the time of going in to administration the group had 750 stores and 2011 revenues of over �360 million across its two retail brands.
- 1 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 2 Barking MP Margaret Hodge 'will not stand' in next general election
- 3 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 4 Barking was Britain's ninth most used station in 2020/21, figures show
- 5 What are the chances of a white Christmas in London?
- 6 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
- 7 'I am really humbled': New Bishop of Barking appointed
- 8 Members of Mali Boys gang jailed for supplying Class A drugs into Essex
- 9 East London man charged with six terrorism offences
- 10 Google rates the top vegan and vegetarian restaurants in your borough
A buyer is still being sought for the remaining stores.
Are you affected? Call the newsdesk on 0208 477 3804.