Barking hair salon nominated for prestigious London award
- Credit: Archant
A hairdresser has said she would be “over the moon” if her salon makes the cut in a London-wide contest.
Glitz ‘N’ Glamour in Barking will go head to head against six other hairdressers in the east category of the London Hair and Beauty Awards, which takes place next month.
Owner Tracey Nicholson said the nomination for team and service of the year was “quite an achievement”.
“There are so many hairdressers out there,” she explained.
“We’ve done quite well over the years locally, but to do well across the whole board in London is really nice.”
You may also want to watch:
The mum-of-two has run the salon in Faircross Parade for the past eight years and for a further five in Hainault.
“I love my job, the customers are so nice that they’re more like old friends than clients,” admitted Tracey, who has four colleagues.
- 1 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
- 2 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 3 Ops planned as Barking and Dagenham marks London Trading Standards Week
- 4 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 5 Barking and Dagenham MPs react after 'horrific' stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 6 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 7 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 8 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 9 Darren Rodwell: 'I attended Tory conference to lobby for underground A13'
- 10 14 charged with alleged drug dealing and money laundering offences
“You never have the same day – day in, day out it’s different.”
Tracey, who lives in Goresbrook Road, Dagenham, will miss the swanky awards at the London Marriott Hotel in Grosvenor Square due to a planned holiday, but is sad not to make the evening.
“When we were first nominated we were like ‘wow’,” the 48-year-old said.
“It’s nice to be nominated but I’m not hedging my bets on winning. We’d be over the moon to win – it’s nice to be recognised, let alone get the award.”
Whatever happens, the salon itself will undergo a silver-themed, bling-style renovation this month after customers voted for their favoured style.
“I’m not sure how it’s going to look but we’re going with the customers,” laughed Tracey.
Go to Glitz ‘N’ Glamour Hair Salon on Facebook for further information. Visit hairandbeautyawards.info for more details of the awards.