Barking hair salon nominated for prestigious London award
- Credit: Archant
A hairdresser has said she would be “over the moon” if her salon makes the cut in a London-wide contest.
Glitz ‘N’ Glamour in Barking will go head to head against six other hairdressers in the east category of the London Hair and Beauty Awards, which takes place next month.
Owner Tracey Nicholson said the nomination for team and service of the year was “quite an achievement”.
“There are so many hairdressers out there,” she explained.
“We’ve done quite well over the years locally, but to do well across the whole board in London is really nice.”
The mum-of-two has run the salon in Faircross Parade for the past eight years and for a further five in Hainault.
“I love my job, the customers are so nice that they’re more like old friends than clients,” admitted Tracey, who has four colleagues.
- 1 Fourth man charged with murder of Dagenham man Tomasz Waga
- 2 Woman treated at scene of blaze at Dagenham block of flats
- 3 Man sublet his council property in Barking while living in West Yorkshire
- 4 Young mother died after flying to Turkey for gastric bypass surgery, inquest hears
- 5 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 6 'He will not survive the cold': Family fear for missing Sphynx cat
- 7 Community comes together in photo shoot for new film studio
- 8 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 9 Historic fleet of vehicles moving from Dagenham, Ford confirms
- 10 Dagenham cafe fined almost £2k following waste disposal dispute
“You never have the same day – day in, day out it’s different.”
Tracey, who lives in Goresbrook Road, Dagenham, will miss the swanky awards at the London Marriott Hotel in Grosvenor Square due to a planned holiday, but is sad not to make the evening.
“When we were first nominated we were like ‘wow’,” the 48-year-old said.
“It’s nice to be nominated but I’m not hedging my bets on winning. We’d be over the moon to win – it’s nice to be recognised, let alone get the award.”
Whatever happens, the salon itself will undergo a silver-themed, bling-style renovation this month after customers voted for their favoured style.
“I’m not sure how it’s going to look but we’re going with the customers,” laughed Tracey.
Go to Glitz ‘N’ Glamour Hair Salon on Facebook for further information. Visit hairandbeautyawards.info for more details of the awards.