Barking store offers 2p discount as budget shops compete
- Credit: Archant
A 97p shop is running a 2p discount sale as two budget retailers compete for customers in Barking.
97p Knockout opened in East Street about six weeks ago and launched its 95p sale in an effort to draw in business.
When the Post asked manager Ali Jani if he believed such a small cut could really attract more customers, he said: “Customers like it. We are doing well.”
One shopper, Sam Walsey, said that she had not noticed the shop had a 95p sale, but added: “It seems silly, but I guess if you buy lots of things, the pennies add up and you make a bit of a saving.”
The store stands beside Sams 99p store, which opened last month and – despite its name – is offering a number of items at 89p.
You may also want to watch:
The chain has a much bigger shop further along East Street and, according to one member of staff who did not want to be named, decided to open a second selling 89p goods because it began losing customers when 97p Knockout opened.
“Even if it’s just a difference of a few pence, people will choose the cheapest store,” he said.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 4 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 5 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 6 Tube strike suspended to allow for further talks
- 7 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 8 Dagenham author pens novel to mark centenary of Becontree Estate
- 9 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 10 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
He told the Post that budget retailers were becoming increasingly popular with shoppers because of the poor state of the economy.