Bitcoin cash machine boosts footfall in Barking barbershop
- Credit: Archant
Bitcoins have arrived in Barking.
A cash machine for the virtual currency has been installed inside Trendz in Ripple Road – and the manager of the barbershop says it’s really boosting his business.
“The future is bitcoin,” Hade Baba, 32, said.
“It has brought a lot of foot traffic into our shop.”
The ATM, which is the 29th to be installed across the capital, allows customers to insert regular pounds sterling and instantly receive the equivalent value in Bitcoins to a wallet on their smartphone.
You may also want to watch:
According to Timi Sholebo, director of Landmark Bitcoin, approximately £2,000 worth of Bitcoins were sold within the first week of the cash machine being in operation.
“We decided to install it because we did a poll and found that people wanted one in the area,” he said. “It is now the central site for residents of nearby areas like Stratford, Dagenham and Illford.”
- 1 Station Parade traffic curbs get green light
- 2 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 3 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 4 Appeal after shots fired at house in Dagenham
- 5 New Covid test site opening in Barking this weekend
- 6 Council admits there is a 'long way to go' before 'cracking' the virus
- 7 Drug and alcohol abuse by Barking and Dagenham parents and children soars
- 8 Appeal to find witness who comforted woman hit by a car in Barking
- 9 More than half of people in Barking and Dagenham may have had Covid, data shows
- 10 Rapid Covid-19 test site for people without symptoms open in Dagenham
Bitcoins allow people to make anonymous transactions on the internet free from government regulation.