Bitcoin cash machine boosts footfall in Barking barbershop
- Credit: Archant
Bitcoins have arrived in Barking.
A cash machine for the virtual currency has been installed inside Trendz in Ripple Road – and the manager of the barbershop says it’s really boosting his business.
“The future is bitcoin,” Hade Baba, 32, said.
“It has brought a lot of foot traffic into our shop.”
The ATM, which is the 29th to be installed across the capital, allows customers to insert regular pounds sterling and instantly receive the equivalent value in Bitcoins to a wallet on their smartphone.
You may also want to watch:
According to Timi Sholebo, director of Landmark Bitcoin, approximately £2,000 worth of Bitcoins were sold within the first week of the cash machine being in operation.
“We decided to install it because we did a poll and found that people wanted one in the area,” he said. “It is now the central site for residents of nearby areas like Stratford, Dagenham and Illford.”
- 1 Fairlop woman ordered to pay £1k over Dagenham cigarette littering
- 2 Queen's Birthday Honours: Badminton club founder gets BEM
- 3 Police officer guilty of spying on woman in the shower
- 4 Man in drink driving arrest as overturned car on A13 causes queues
- 5 Family endures 'horrific leaks' at Dagenham block of flats
- 6 Barking man arrested after three men injured in Southend
- 7 Barking sign former Leyton Orient duo Elliott Omozusi and Charlie MacDonald
- 8 Pensioner arrested after £4m suspected drugs seizure
- 9 Woman, 68, attacked in Dagenham
- 10 Jailed: Dagenham man who murdered 'gentle giant' in mistaken identity shooting
Bitcoins allow people to make anonymous transactions on the internet free from government regulation.