Budding Barking fashion designer showcases catwalk creations
- Credit: Archant
A budding fashion designer from Barking showcased his first collection on Friday as he aims to become the new name on the catwalk.
Jake London, 18, of Ripple Road, displayed his creations for sale at the Liberty Shopping Centre in Romford as part of a special event celebrating young talent.
The former Barking Abbey pupil, who is now studying for a degree in fashion at De Montfort University in Leicester, was named “Fashion Designer of the Year” at last year’s event and dreams of becoming the next Giorgio Armani.
“Ultimately I want to be a successful designer in the future and have my own brand,” he said.
“It’s really exciting seeing your designs up on the catwalk because it’s good hard month’s worth of work.”
You may also want to watch:
Although unashamed of his roots, he insists his inspirations come from further afield than Barking.
“More from central London and its history,” he added.
- 1 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 2 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 3 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 4 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 5 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 6 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 7 Dagenham charity set up in memory of 'unique' man offers help to youngsters
- 8 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 9 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 10 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
Teaming up with high street brand M&S, the shopping centre showcased a range of grass roots fashion talent through the design competition.
Alongside The Only Way is Essex star Lauren Pope, a total of 21 finalists had their creations modelled, inspired by stylish and innovative garments, which reflects what ‘style’ means to them