Budding Barking fashion designer showcases catwalk creations
- Credit: Archant
A budding fashion designer from Barking showcased his first collection on Friday as he aims to become the new name on the catwalk.
Jake London, 18, of Ripple Road, displayed his creations for sale at the Liberty Shopping Centre in Romford as part of a special event celebrating young talent.
The former Barking Abbey pupil, who is now studying for a degree in fashion at De Montfort University in Leicester, was named “Fashion Designer of the Year” at last year’s event and dreams of becoming the next Giorgio Armani.
“Ultimately I want to be a successful designer in the future and have my own brand,” he said.
“It’s really exciting seeing your designs up on the catwalk because it’s good hard month’s worth of work.”
Although unashamed of his roots, he insists his inspirations come from further afield than Barking.
“More from central London and its history,” he added.
- 1 Dagenham man fined within hours of fly-tipping at bus stop
- 2 Dagenham man jailed for 12 years for punching to death Marius Lakavicius
- 3 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 4 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 5 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 6 Police appeal after intruder reportedly enters Barking home and threatens woman with knife
- 7 Zouma brothers to face the courts amid animal abuse allegations
- 8 'Beautiful skin and incredible smile': What happened when the Queen visited a Dagenham school
- 9 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 10 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
Teaming up with high street brand M&S, the shopping centre showcased a range of grass roots fashion talent through the design competition.
Alongside The Only Way is Essex star Lauren Pope, a total of 21 finalists had their creations modelled, inspired by stylish and innovative garments, which reflects what ‘style’ means to them