Budding Barking fashion designer showcases catwalk creations
- Credit: Archant
A budding fashion designer from Barking showcased his first collection on Friday as he aims to become the new name on the catwalk.
Jake London, 18, of Ripple Road, displayed his creations for sale at the Liberty Shopping Centre in Romford as part of a special event celebrating young talent.
The former Barking Abbey pupil, who is now studying for a degree in fashion at De Montfort University in Leicester, was named “Fashion Designer of the Year” at last year’s event and dreams of becoming the next Giorgio Armani.
“Ultimately I want to be a successful designer in the future and have my own brand,” he said.
“It’s really exciting seeing your designs up on the catwalk because it’s good hard month’s worth of work.”
You may also want to watch:
Although unashamed of his roots, he insists his inspirations come from further afield than Barking.
“More from central London and its history,” he added.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 3 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 4 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 5 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Dagenham on the way back up after FA Cup comeback
- 10 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
Teaming up with high street brand M&S, the shopping centre showcased a range of grass roots fashion talent through the design competition.
Alongside The Only Way is Essex star Lauren Pope, a total of 21 finalists had their creations modelled, inspired by stylish and innovative garments, which reflects what ‘style’ means to them