Budding Barking fashion designer showcases catwalk creations
- Credit: Archant
A budding fashion designer from Barking showcased his first collection on Friday as he aims to become the new name on the catwalk.
Jake London, 18, of Ripple Road, displayed his creations for sale at the Liberty Shopping Centre in Romford as part of a special event celebrating young talent.
The former Barking Abbey pupil, who is now studying for a degree in fashion at De Montfort University in Leicester, was named “Fashion Designer of the Year” at last year’s event and dreams of becoming the next Giorgio Armani.
“Ultimately I want to be a successful designer in the future and have my own brand,” he said.
“It’s really exciting seeing your designs up on the catwalk because it’s good hard month’s worth of work.”
You may also want to watch:
Although unashamed of his roots, he insists his inspirations come from further afield than Barking.
“More from central London and its history,” he added.
- 1 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 2 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 3 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 5 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 6 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 7 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 8 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 9 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 10 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
Teaming up with high street brand M&S, the shopping centre showcased a range of grass roots fashion talent through the design competition.
Alongside The Only Way is Essex star Lauren Pope, a total of 21 finalists had their creations modelled, inspired by stylish and innovative garments, which reflects what ‘style’ means to them