Bus depot in Dagenham to close in October
Bus company First Group plans to close a depot in Dagenham as the firm withdraws from London.
News that the Chequers Lane centre will shut in October came after the sale of another eight First depots in London was finalised on Monday.
The Dagenham depot closure will complete the company’s withdrawal from running services in the capital.
First have not yet been to confirm whether staff in Chequers Lane will be made redundant.
A spokesman said: “Our decision is a business driven one and does not reflect on the effort or individual performance of those working in Dagenham.
You may also want to watch:
“We would like to thank them for the commitment and loyalty they have shown First over the years.“
The remaining depots were sold to Metroline and Transit Systems Group for around £80million in total. The company, which also runs trains, said it will now put greater focus on other areas in the UK.
- 1 Is the Becontree estate in Barking and Dagenham really a Covid hotspot?
- 2 Padnall Lake, teachers in pandemic, hearing loss and Covid insurance
- 3 Tributes to 'much-loved' volunteer with a passion for Dagenham history
- 4 Town hall backs Dagenham freeport bid
- 5 Heritage: How greyhound enthusiast's 1960s betting coup failed
- 6 Rapid Covid-19 test site for people without symptoms open in Dagenham
- 7 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 8 Organisers seek former Mayesbrook teachers to join school reunion
- 9 Man recalled to prison after persistent anti-social behaviour in Dagenham cul de sac
- 10 Hundreds of shops found not complying with Covid rules