Bus depot in Dagenham to close in October
Bus company First Group plans to close a depot in Dagenham as the firm withdraws from London.
News that the Chequers Lane centre will shut in October came after the sale of another eight First depots in London was finalised on Monday.
The Dagenham depot closure will complete the company’s withdrawal from running services in the capital.
First have not yet been to confirm whether staff in Chequers Lane will be made redundant.
A spokesman said: “Our decision is a business driven one and does not reflect on the effort or individual performance of those working in Dagenham.
You may also want to watch:
“We would like to thank them for the commitment and loyalty they have shown First over the years.“
The remaining depots were sold to Metroline and Transit Systems Group for around £80million in total. The company, which also runs trains, said it will now put greater focus on other areas in the UK.
- 1 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 2 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 3 Rainbow lights 'signal hope' as part of Barking and Dagenham festival
- 4 Barking and Dagenham pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 5 Second World War bomb pulled from River Thames in Barking
- 6 Jailed: Burglar who drove on wrong side of road trying to flee police
- 7 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 8 Council reveals new debt collection service to cut need for enforcement
- 9 Barking MP receives 'disgusting' Holocaust email over Covid-19 vaccine passports
- 10 Hospital worker killed by ex-partner before he committed suicide, court hears