Bus depot in Dagenham to close in October
Bus company First Group plans to close a depot in Dagenham as the firm withdraws from London.
News that the Chequers Lane centre will shut in October came after the sale of another eight First depots in London was finalised on Monday.
The Dagenham depot closure will complete the company’s withdrawal from running services in the capital.
First have not yet been to confirm whether staff in Chequers Lane will be made redundant.
A spokesman said: “Our decision is a business driven one and does not reflect on the effort or individual performance of those working in Dagenham.
You may also want to watch:
“We would like to thank them for the commitment and loyalty they have shown First over the years.“
The remaining depots were sold to Metroline and Transit Systems Group for around £80million in total. The company, which also runs trains, said it will now put greater focus on other areas in the UK.
- 1 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 2 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 3 New community food club set to open in Barking and Dagenham
- 4 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 5 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 6 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 7 Barking and Dagenham, Newham named priority areas by Arts Council
- 8 The tea room in a country park 'building a community' in Dagenham
- 9 Revellers descend on Dagenham for We Are FSTVL
- 10 Weekly Covid cases across east London revealed