Business: Award-winning hairdresser opens new salon in Barking
- Credit: Archant
An award-winning hair stylist who used to trim the locks of Tony Blair’s son has opened up her own salon in Barking.
Irene Oryema, 58, cut the ribbon at Eneritech in Vicarage Fields shopping centre on Saturday before showcasing her new venture to the public.
Irene, who now lives in Ilford, has spent the past 17 years hairdressing on both sides of the Atlantic.
Specialising in both Afro-Caribbean and European hair styles, she has previously worked in a number of world-renowned London salons including a stint in Canary Wharf, cutting hair for Morgan Stanley – where Euan Blair, son of former Prime Minister Tony, used to work.
But after serving a number of employers, Irene is delighted to be launching her own business and becoming her own boss.
“It’s been a real journey over the past 17 years,” she said. “Sometimes you fail at things and feel like giving up, but I’ve stuck at it and it’s amazing to be opening up my own salon.
“I’m really excited to bring my all my experience to Barking.
- 1 Ilford man has van crushed, given curfew for Barking and Dagenham fly-tips
- 2 Company fined in court over builder's skips in Dagenham and Chadwell Heath
- 3 Dagenham man jailed for 12 years for punching to death Marius Lakavicius
- 4 Dagenham man fined within hours of fly-tipping at bus stop
- 5 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in east London
- 6 Barking BikeFest comes to town
- 7 Tossed cigarette in Chadwell Heath costs Beckton man almost £400
- 8 5 of the best things to do with kids in east London
- 9 'Beautiful skin and incredible smile': What happened when the Queen visited a Dagenham school
- 10 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
“It’s going to be West End services at East End prices.
As well as women’s styling, the salon will feature a gentleman’s barber and a beauty therapist, and will also be taking on an apprentice hairdresser from Barking & Dagenham College.
A dedicated family woman, Irene was helped with the salon floor building work by her son Sam, a plumber, while her sister Anna will join the team as a part-time receptionist.
Daughter Nisha, who works in human resources for KPMG, is also on board and will be in charge of social media.
She added: “Family is very important to me so it’s going to be great having them working alongside me.”
Eneritech will open six days a week with a pre-bookings only policy for Sundays.
Prices start at £5 for children, £8 for men and £15 for women.
For more information visit facebook.com/eneritechhairstudio