Business: Award-winning hairdresser opens new salon in Barking
- Credit: Archant
An award-winning hair stylist who used to trim the locks of Tony Blair’s son has opened up her own salon in Barking.
Irene Oryema, 58, cut the ribbon at Eneritech in Vicarage Fields shopping centre on Saturday before showcasing her new venture to the public.
Irene, who now lives in Ilford, has spent the past 17 years hairdressing on both sides of the Atlantic.
Specialising in both Afro-Caribbean and European hair styles, she has previously worked in a number of world-renowned London salons including a stint in Canary Wharf, cutting hair for Morgan Stanley – where Euan Blair, son of former Prime Minister Tony, used to work.
But after serving a number of employers, Irene is delighted to be launching her own business and becoming her own boss.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s been a real journey over the past 17 years,” she said. “Sometimes you fail at things and feel like giving up, but I’ve stuck at it and it’s amazing to be opening up my own salon.
“I’m really excited to bring my all my experience to Barking.
- 1 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 2 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
- 3 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 4 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 5 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 6 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 7 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 8 Man who controlled Ipswich drug line jailed for five years
- 9 Tossed cigarette costs Dagenham man more than £600
- 10 Deadline looming to comment on proposed constituency changes
“It’s going to be West End services at East End prices.
As well as women’s styling, the salon will feature a gentleman’s barber and a beauty therapist, and will also be taking on an apprentice hairdresser from Barking & Dagenham College.
A dedicated family woman, Irene was helped with the salon floor building work by her son Sam, a plumber, while her sister Anna will join the team as a part-time receptionist.
Daughter Nisha, who works in human resources for KPMG, is also on board and will be in charge of social media.
She added: “Family is very important to me so it’s going to be great having them working alongside me.”
Eneritech will open six days a week with a pre-bookings only policy for Sundays.
Prices start at £5 for children, £8 for men and £15 for women.
For more information visit facebook.com/eneritechhairstudio