Business: Award-winning hairdresser opens new salon in Barking
- Credit: Archant
An award-winning hair stylist who used to trim the locks of Tony Blair’s son has opened up her own salon in Barking.
Irene Oryema, 58, cut the ribbon at Eneritech in Vicarage Fields shopping centre on Saturday before showcasing her new venture to the public.
Irene, who now lives in Ilford, has spent the past 17 years hairdressing on both sides of the Atlantic.
Specialising in both Afro-Caribbean and European hair styles, she has previously worked in a number of world-renowned London salons including a stint in Canary Wharf, cutting hair for Morgan Stanley – where Euan Blair, son of former Prime Minister Tony, used to work.
But after serving a number of employers, Irene is delighted to be launching her own business and becoming her own boss.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s been a real journey over the past 17 years,” she said. “Sometimes you fail at things and feel like giving up, but I’ve stuck at it and it’s amazing to be opening up my own salon.
“I’m really excited to bring my all my experience to Barking.
- 1 Barking mum: 'Wood falling from truck could have killed me or my kids'
- 2 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 3 Barking and Dagenham light festival ends with message of peace
- 4 Barking & Dagenham girls on cloud nine after big opening win
- 5 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 6 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 8 Barking FC set for big week in the Cup
- 9 Blood donors needed for Covid study as Barking centre set to open
- 10 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
“It’s going to be West End services at East End prices.
As well as women’s styling, the salon will feature a gentleman’s barber and a beauty therapist, and will also be taking on an apprentice hairdresser from Barking & Dagenham College.
A dedicated family woman, Irene was helped with the salon floor building work by her son Sam, a plumber, while her sister Anna will join the team as a part-time receptionist.
Daughter Nisha, who works in human resources for KPMG, is also on board and will be in charge of social media.
She added: “Family is very important to me so it’s going to be great having them working alongside me.”
Eneritech will open six days a week with a pre-bookings only policy for Sundays.
Prices start at £5 for children, £8 for men and £15 for women.
For more information visit facebook.com/eneritechhairstudio