Business: Award-winning hairdresser opens new salon in Barking
- Credit: Archant
An award-winning hair stylist who used to trim the locks of Tony Blair’s son has opened up her own salon in Barking.
Irene Oryema, 58, cut the ribbon at Eneritech in Vicarage Fields shopping centre on Saturday before showcasing her new venture to the public.
Irene, who now lives in Ilford, has spent the past 17 years hairdressing on both sides of the Atlantic.
Specialising in both Afro-Caribbean and European hair styles, she has previously worked in a number of world-renowned London salons including a stint in Canary Wharf, cutting hair for Morgan Stanley – where Euan Blair, son of former Prime Minister Tony, used to work.
But after serving a number of employers, Irene is delighted to be launching her own business and becoming her own boss.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s been a real journey over the past 17 years,” she said. “Sometimes you fail at things and feel like giving up, but I’ve stuck at it and it’s amazing to be opening up my own salon.
“I’m really excited to bring my all my experience to Barking.
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 4 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 5 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 6 Government 'never gave support' for Beam Park station, minister says
- 7 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 8 Barking and Dagenham to develop planning app in new digital tools pilot
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Urgent call for volunteer stewards at booster jab sites
“It’s going to be West End services at East End prices.
As well as women’s styling, the salon will feature a gentleman’s barber and a beauty therapist, and will also be taking on an apprentice hairdresser from Barking & Dagenham College.
A dedicated family woman, Irene was helped with the salon floor building work by her son Sam, a plumber, while her sister Anna will join the team as a part-time receptionist.
Daughter Nisha, who works in human resources for KPMG, is also on board and will be in charge of social media.
She added: “Family is very important to me so it’s going to be great having them working alongside me.”
Eneritech will open six days a week with a pre-bookings only policy for Sundays.
Prices start at £5 for children, £8 for men and £15 for women.
For more information visit facebook.com/eneritechhairstudio