Business: Dagenham ex-nightclub manager in bid to launch dog-walking business
- Credit: Archant
A former nightclub manager has left the world of cocktails and dancefloors behind to launch his own dog-walking business.
Darren Mills, 42, of Lodge Avenue, Dagenham, has loved animals since he was a little boy and currently owns two German Shepherds - Marley and Kyla.
After spending 20 years working in bars and clubs all over the world, he decided to try his hand at something he truly enjoys.
“It’s not about money it’s about doing something I’m passionate about,” he said.
“People can be quite protective about their pets and wouldn’t want to let them go to anybody but with hectic lifestyles and people working longer hours there’s becoming more of a need.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve trained dogs in my spare time for about 20 years so I’ve got the knowledge as well.”
In addition to working in Spain, Greece and Australia Darren also owned and worked in a few nightclubs in nearby Romford including the likes of Tokyo Blue, Hollywood’s and the Opium Lounge.
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 4 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 5 Dagenham MP Jon Cruddas in 'crisis' warning over local plan
- 6 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 7 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Urgent call for volunteer stewards at booster jab sites
- 10 Barking and Dagenham to develop planning app in new digital tools pilot
Although keenly interested in dogs - even attending regular team training sessions with his canine pair - his services stretch to any domestic animal, himself having kept rabbits and hamsters growing up.
As well as exercising the animals he also runs a pet-taxi service, often involving trips to the vet.
“Not everyone has a car and normal taxis can often cost an absolute fortune with a dog in-tow,” he added
“It’s not just about making money though, it’s about helping people out.
“I want to do well, but not at any cost. I also offer house sittings for when people go away when on holiday and can also pop round in the evenings to feed the animals.”
For more information visit alwayswaggytails.com