Chadwell Heath builder cements career with construction programme
- Credit: Archant
Budding builders are on track for a new career after cementing their skills.
Nine unemployed 18 to 21-year-olds tried their hands at everything from steel fixing to cement pouring as part of a two-week Get into Construction scheme – including practising their skills at the Chadwell Heath Crossrail site.
Darius Ledeatte-Williams, of Chadwell Heath, says he feels like a “different person” since joining The Prince’s Trust programme last month.
“Before I started I didn’t feel confident finding employment, but now I feel so much more positive and my communication and teamwork skills have improved massively,” admitted the 19-year-old.
Darius has now gained a job with Costain, the engineering provider which helped deliver the Ford Britain Trust-funded project.
You may also want to watch:
“The course has really helped me in my journey,” he added.
- 1 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 2 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 3 Rainbow lights 'signal hope' as part of Barking and Dagenham festival
- 4 Barking and Dagenham pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 5 Second World War bomb pulled from River Thames in Barking
- 6 Jailed: Burglar who drove on wrong side of road trying to flee police
- 7 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 8 Council reveals new debt collection service to cut need for enforcement
- 9 Barking MP receives 'disgusting' Holocaust email over Covid-19 vaccine passports
- 10 Hospital worker killed by ex-partner before he committed suicide, court hears