Dagenham beauty shop owners fined £14k after selling ‘dangerous’ skin-whitening cosmetics
- Credit: Archant
The owners of a beauty shop have been fined more than £14,500 for selling ‘dangerous’ skin-whitening cosmetics.
Trading Standards officers from Barking and Dagenham Council visited R&T Cosmetics in Dagenham Heathway in May 2017.
They seized 360 products, including some containing hydroquinone, a skin-bleaching substance banned from over-the-counter sale in the UK.
The labels on the substances failed to meet strict EU regulations and, in some cases, listed incorrect ingredients.
Cllr Margaret Mullane, cabinet member for enforcement and community safety, said: "I'm pleased we have been able to take these dangerous skin-lightening products off the shelves.
You may also want to watch:
"Public safety should never be compromised in the pursuit of profit, and these cosmetics could have caused serious harm to our residents.
"The regulations are there to keep people safe and the council will not hesitate to take action against businesses who try and flout the law."
- 1 Man stabbed in front of son, 12, in 'unprovoked, violent' attack in Barking
- 2 Election 2021: Live updates for GLA seat and Thames by-election
- 3 Jailed: Man whose drunken knife attack left one dead and woman injured at Dagenham dinner party
- 4 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 5 Guilty: 'Depraved' rapist who targeted and robbed lone women at night
- 6 Barking shisha bar was wrongly shut down for Covid breaches, owner claims
- 7 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 8 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 9 Man shot in the face in Dagenham
- 10 Police patrols increase at Dagenham Tube stations
Appearing at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Monday, April 29, the store's owners, Rotimi Oyewole and Taiwo Oyewole, pleaded guilty to two offences under the cosmetics product enforcement regulations 2013.
The couple were fined £6,500 and ordered to pay £8,010 to the council.