Despite Black Friday and Christmas Barking and Dagenham’s shops must brace for difficult winter, says retail guru
- Credit: Archant
Retail discounts are integral to the success of Barking and Dagenham’s high street shops as they brace for a difficult winter period, says retail guru Simon Green, president of the Barking and Dagenham Chamber of Commerce.
With £3 in every £5 of the average person’s Christmas shopping set to be spent online, the borough’s high street stores must strive to offer something different, he says.
“Black Friday and associated promotions will be an important element of the retail offer,” he says.
Mr Green is also the regional centre director of Barking’s Vicarage Field Shopping Centre.
Retail company results and sales predictions from Visa suggest high street spending will suffer over the winter period.
You may also want to watch:
“I do not envisage there will be many retailers who will survive on full price sales over the next month and a half,” Mr Green added.
However with prices continuing to suffer because of the fall in value of the pound, consumers ought to make the most of any discounts on offer, he says.
- 1 Elderly woman dies after van collision in Dagenham
- 2 More than 150 attend official opening of 'fabulous' pocket park in Barking
- 3 New developments approved in Barking and Dagenham so far this year
- 4 Barking father's car stolen from driveway
- 5 Dagenham mum vows more acts of crochet kindness despite missing postbox toppers
- 6 Things to do in east London this weekend (August 7-8)
- 7 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 8 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 9 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 10 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
“As Brexit retail inflation continues to bite, these additionally price promotions should provide some comfort to the retail consumer,” he said.
Black Friday is this week on November 24, but discounts are expected to last all week.