Despite Black Friday and Christmas Barking and Dagenham’s shops must brace for difficult winter, says retail guru
- Credit: Archant
Retail discounts are integral to the success of Barking and Dagenham’s high street shops as they brace for a difficult winter period, says retail guru Simon Green, president of the Barking and Dagenham Chamber of Commerce.
With £3 in every £5 of the average person’s Christmas shopping set to be spent online, the borough’s high street stores must strive to offer something different, he says.
“Black Friday and associated promotions will be an important element of the retail offer,” he says.
Mr Green is also the regional centre director of Barking’s Vicarage Field Shopping Centre.
Retail company results and sales predictions from Visa suggest high street spending will suffer over the winter period.
You may also want to watch:
“I do not envisage there will be many retailers who will survive on full price sales over the next month and a half,” Mr Green added.
However with prices continuing to suffer because of the fall in value of the pound, consumers ought to make the most of any discounts on offer, he says.
- 1 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 2 Barking and Dagenham pubs and bars reopen for outdoor service
- 3 Becontree Estate designed after Spanish Flu 'helped prevent Covid deaths'
- 4 Jailed: ‘Extremely dangerous’ Dagenham man who plotted terrorist attack
- 5 Light festival sees cyclists brighten up Barking and Dagenham streets
- 6 Views sought on Sebastian Court community space
- 7 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 8 BHRUT in capsule trial for detecting colorectal cancer
- 9 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 10 Jailed: Burglar who drove on wrong side of road trying to flee police
“As Brexit retail inflation continues to bite, these additionally price promotions should provide some comfort to the retail consumer,” he said.
Black Friday is this week on November 24, but discounts are expected to last all week.