Despite Black Friday and Christmas Barking and Dagenham’s shops must brace for difficult winter, says retail guru
- Credit: Archant
Retail discounts are integral to the success of Barking and Dagenham’s high street shops as they brace for a difficult winter period, says retail guru Simon Green, president of the Barking and Dagenham Chamber of Commerce.
With £3 in every £5 of the average person’s Christmas shopping set to be spent online, the borough’s high street stores must strive to offer something different, he says.
“Black Friday and associated promotions will be an important element of the retail offer,” he says.
Mr Green is also the regional centre director of Barking’s Vicarage Field Shopping Centre.
Retail company results and sales predictions from Visa suggest high street spending will suffer over the winter period.
You may also want to watch:
“I do not envisage there will be many retailers who will survive on full price sales over the next month and a half,” Mr Green added.
However with prices continuing to suffer because of the fall in value of the pound, consumers ought to make the most of any discounts on offer, he says.
- 1 Letters: Covid rules, tenants' manifesto, Streetspace, help RAF veterans and support children's charity
- 2 Station Parade traffic curbs get green light
- 3 More than half of people in Barking and Dagenham may have had Covid, data shows
- 4 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 5 Have the Covid-19 vaccine when the NHS contacts you
- 6 Appeal after shots fired at house in Dagenham
- 7 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 8 Council admits there is a 'long way to go' before 'cracking' the virus
- 9 Appeal to find witness who comforted woman hit by a car in Barking
- 10 New Covid test site opening in Barking this weekend
“As Brexit retail inflation continues to bite, these additionally price promotions should provide some comfort to the retail consumer,” he said.
Black Friday is this week on November 24, but discounts are expected to last all week.