Barking nightclub shut down for alleged Covid breach
- Credit: Archant
A nightclub in Barking town centre which allegedly hosted a lockdown party has been temporarily shut down.
Council inspectors visited Deuce Lounge in London Road at 3.30am on September 5 and said they found “large groups of people” in the area.
The doors to the club were locked but officers said they saw people “standing and drinking” through the windows with no social distancing in place.
READ MORE: Party attended by 90 revellers shut down at new Barking tower blockA Barking and Dagenham Council spokesman said: “Officers could see through the windows that there were people standing and drinking inside and music could be heard from the main road and the atmosphere appeared ‘party like’ with raised voices and a DJ at the laptop using a microphone. As the door staff noticed the council officers, they made announcements for people to leave the premises.
“When officers eventually entered the premises, the music had been turned down, the lights back on and customers were being ushered out by the door staff. It was still crowded, with no social distancing.”
The Deuce Lounge’s directors have been served with a closure notice, which will see it remain closed for up to two weeks for failing to follow guidelines on social distancing.
READ MORE: ‘No respect’: Revellers flout lockdown rules to attend party in BarkingCouncillor Margaret Mullane, cabinet member for enforcement and community safety, said: “We all must act responsibly in order to keep coronavirus at bay and prevent it from spreading.
You may also want to watch:
“Businesses that are not going to act responsibly by following guidelines will be closed down. It’s not fair on those many businesses that are operating safely, and we cannot allow profit to come before resident’s safety. Our officers are working round the clock to protect our residents.”
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 3 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 4 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 5 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 6 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 7 Barking and Dagenham to develop planning app in new digital tools pilot
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Urgent call for volunteer stewards at booster jab sites
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week