Barking nightclub shut down for alleged Covid breach
- Credit: Archant
A nightclub in Barking town centre which allegedly hosted a lockdown party has been temporarily shut down.
Council inspectors visited Deuce Lounge in London Road at 3.30am on September 5 and said they found “large groups of people” in the area.
The doors to the club were locked but officers said they saw people “standing and drinking” through the windows with no social distancing in place.
READ MORE: Party attended by 90 revellers shut down at new Barking tower blockA Barking and Dagenham Council spokesman said: “Officers could see through the windows that there were people standing and drinking inside and music could be heard from the main road and the atmosphere appeared ‘party like’ with raised voices and a DJ at the laptop using a microphone. As the door staff noticed the council officers, they made announcements for people to leave the premises.
“When officers eventually entered the premises, the music had been turned down, the lights back on and customers were being ushered out by the door staff. It was still crowded, with no social distancing.”
The Deuce Lounge’s directors have been served with a closure notice, which will see it remain closed for up to two weeks for failing to follow guidelines on social distancing.
READ MORE: ‘No respect’: Revellers flout lockdown rules to attend party in BarkingCouncillor Margaret Mullane, cabinet member for enforcement and community safety, said: “We all must act responsibly in order to keep coronavirus at bay and prevent it from spreading.
You may also want to watch:
“Businesses that are not going to act responsibly by following guidelines will be closed down. It’s not fair on those many businesses that are operating safely, and we cannot allow profit to come before resident’s safety. Our officers are working round the clock to protect our residents.”
- 1 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 2 Barking & Dagenham girls on cloud nine after big opening win
- 3 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
- 4 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 5 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 6 Charity shops open, Covid rules, park toilets and child exploitation
- 7 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 8 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 9 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election