Ford boss due to speak in Dagenham today amid reports Southampton plant to close
Ford union members in Dagenham are due to meet the car giant’s European chief this morning following reports there are plans to shut the Southampton plant.
Stephen Odell is expected to announce the Hampshire closure, which could see 500 people lose their jobs.
The news came after the US car giant unveiled plans to shut a 4,300-staff plant in Gent, Belgium, in a bid to return the business to profitability.
But Dagenham Unite rep Mark Stephens told the Post yesterday that the plans could lead to the Chequers Lane factory landing a new engine contract, which in turn could create new jobs.
Ford declined to comment on today’s meeting or the new panther engine contract.
You may also want to watch:
See our website for updates.
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 2 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
- 3 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 4 Manager celebrates 25 years working for supermarket
- 5 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 6 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 7 College student selected as national finalist with pearly king photo series
- 8 Dagenham 88 Runners returned to parkrun action and tackled ELVIS race
- 9 Dagenham MP seeks views on CPZs after 'hundreds raise concerns'
- 10 Admissions open for new Barking school