Future unclear for only shop in Barking Riverside
- Credit: PA WIRE
The future of the only shop in Barking Riverside is unclear after Morrisons agreed to sell off 140 of its convenience stores this afternoon.
The M local, in Minter Road, only opened in January but could be one of those being bought for about £25million by a team headed up by retail entrepreneur Mike Greene, and funded by Greybull Capital.
The supermarket chain intend to hang on to five of its local stores which are either on forecourts or will be converted to small Morrisons supermarkets.
The shops changing hands will be re-branded as “my local”, with the 2,300 staff nationwide being kept on.
An extra 200 jobs will also be created by reopening 10 shops that are currently shut.
You may also want to watch:
Staff at the affected stores are being informed by the company with a further public announcement expected later this week.
The whole transaction is expected to cost the company about £30million, adding to the £792million annual loss reported earlier this year.
- 1 Man recalled to prison after persistent anti-social behaviour in Dagenham cul de sac
- 2 Dagenham rallies round to make memories for family of 'joyful, little' tot with cancer
- 3 Organisers seek former Mayesbrook teachers to join school reunion
- 4 Free parking for NHS staff and key workers extended
- 5 Second blaze breaks out at White Horse pub in Chadwell Heath
- 6 Town hall seeks powers to prevent 'unsightly' loft extensions
- 7 Sunflower Suite at Queen's Hospital chosen for this year's Christine Willett Trust donation
- 8 Dagenham primary scoops second mental health award
- 9 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 10 More than half of people in Barking and Dagenham may have had Covid, data shows
David Potts, Morrisons CEO, said: “Convenience is a large and growing channel in UK food retailing.
“Morrisons learnt much from its entry into the market, but M local was unable to scale. “However, we remain open to other opportunities in convenience in the future.
“I would like to thank all the Morrisons colleagues for their hard work and dedication to M local.”
Do you use the Minter Road store? What are your views? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 8477 3824.