International televised sports championships to be held at Dagenham sports centre
- Credit: Archant
Major world-wide televised sporting events in boxing, darts and snooker will be staged at a local sporting centre, it has been revealed.
SportHouse, in Dagenham, which was used as a Olympic handball training venue, has signed a deal with sports promoters Matchroom Sport, whose events are broadcast by Sky, BBC, Channel 4, ITV and abroad.
Matchroom Sport will stage a number of boxing, darts and snooker fixtures, including world championships, from September.
The likes of Ronnie O’Sullivan, Scott Waites and David Price are just some of the stars who could be competing at the venue in Mayesbrook Park.
The sports hall at SportHouse is the biggest in the country and from next month will boast 983 seats, with a further 1,817 being installed at a later date.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Harris, owner of SportHouse, which opened last year, said: “Holding internationally televised events at SportHouse will really raise the profile of Barking and Dagenham.
“Some very big sports stars will be coming to the venue and the events will be broadcast around the globe. This is a very exciting move for us.” He added: “We hope people in the area will come and watch the events.
- 1 Barking mum: 'Wood falling from truck could have killed me or my kids'
- 2 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 3 Barking and Dagenham light festival ends with message of peace
- 4 Barking & Dagenham girls on cloud nine after big opening win
- 5 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 6 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Barking FC set for big week in the Cup
- 8 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 9 Blood donors needed for Covid study as Barking centre set to open
- 10 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
“It’s a fantastic opportunity to see world-class sport on your doorstep.”
Matchroom Sport is also in discussions with SportHouse to open a boxing academy for young aspiring boxers.
The next big event at the centre is The FA National Futsal League grand finals which will be held on June 1. Futsal is an indoor version of football.
The chairman of Matchroom Sport is Barry Hearn, who grew up in Dagenham and went on to become a successful sports promoter.
What do you think of the plans? Would you go and watch the events? Let us know. Comment below or email email@example.com.