International televised sports championships to be held at Dagenham sports centre
- Credit: Archant
Major world-wide televised sporting events in boxing, darts and snooker will be staged at a local sporting centre, it has been revealed.
SportHouse, in Dagenham, which was used as a Olympic handball training venue, has signed a deal with sports promoters Matchroom Sport, whose events are broadcast by Sky, BBC, Channel 4, ITV and abroad.
Matchroom Sport will stage a number of boxing, darts and snooker fixtures, including world championships, from September.
The likes of Ronnie O’Sullivan, Scott Waites and David Price are just some of the stars who could be competing at the venue in Mayesbrook Park.
The sports hall at SportHouse is the biggest in the country and from next month will boast 983 seats, with a further 1,817 being installed at a later date.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Harris, owner of SportHouse, which opened last year, said: “Holding internationally televised events at SportHouse will really raise the profile of Barking and Dagenham.
“Some very big sports stars will be coming to the venue and the events will be broadcast around the globe. This is a very exciting move for us.” He added: “We hope people in the area will come and watch the events.
- 1 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 3 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 4 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 5 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 6 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 7 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 8 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
- 9 Humanist: 'Support bill to scrap archaic requirement for school worship'
- 10 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
“It’s a fantastic opportunity to see world-class sport on your doorstep.”
Matchroom Sport is also in discussions with SportHouse to open a boxing academy for young aspiring boxers.
The next big event at the centre is The FA National Futsal League grand finals which will be held on June 1. Futsal is an indoor version of football.
The chairman of Matchroom Sport is Barry Hearn, who grew up in Dagenham and went on to become a successful sports promoter.
What do you think of the plans? Would you go and watch the events? Let us know. Comment below or email firstname.lastname@example.org.