Lessons have been learnt a year after riots, Barking and Dagenham Police say
Police said lessons had been learnt a year after rioting hit the streets of Barking and Dagenham.
Yobs torched the derelict Westbury Arms pub in Ripple Road, Barking, fought pitched battles with police and looted shops costing businesses tens of thousands of pounds on August 8 last year.
Malaysian student Ashraf Rossli, 20, was mugged on video by fake samaritans at a Barking flyover in what became one of the defining images of the disorder. Two men have been jailed and the accounting student has returned to his home land.
Barking and Dagenham Police Supt Gary Buttercase said officers had implemented new strategies, monitored social media and had an extra 1,750 public order officers in London to prevent more disturbances.
Police also vowed never to stop hunting the rioters as it emerged 100 had evaded justice.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Buttercase said: “I continue to be extremely proud of the overwhelming bravery of my officers who policed the disorder both in Barking and Dagenham and in the wider London area.
“Lessons were learnt from this unprecedented incident and significant changes have now been made to the police public order strategy, mobilisation plan and tactics.
- 1 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 2 Barking and Dagenham rallies to give friends a prom night to remember
- 3 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 4 Mum plans 30-mile walk to Barking Station to raise money to help son take first steps
- 5 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
- 6 Dagenham MP seeks views on CPZs after 'hundreds raise concerns'
- 7 London boroughs with fastest and slowest wage growth revealed
- 8 Admissions open for new Barking school
- 9 Barking and Dagenham racks up most blue badge-related fines, study shows
- 10 Ricardo Fuller death: Men from Dagenham and Plaistow wanted in connection
“I would like to reassure the public that police are taking all possible steps to stop these events from being repeated in the future.”
Meanwhile, Barking and Dagenham Council said the disorder had been a “huge challenge” but stressed the borough had taken a “tough line” on troublemakers.
The Labour council added that Met figures showed incidents of serious youth violence had fallen by more than half (56 per cent) from 73 to 47 in Barking and Dagenham since April, compared to the same period last year.
The statistics show there was a 36 per cent drop overall in London from 2,452 to 1,803.
Crime and justice cabinet member, Cllr Jeanne Alexander, said: “Last year’s disturbances were a huge challenge for Barking and Dagenham, but one which we faced as a community together.
“Our borough remains absolutely determined never to allow thuggery and violence to go unpunished – and we took a tough line to make sure anyone who was involved felt the full force of the law.”