Lucky ladies awarded Dagenham plumbing scholarships
- Credit: Archant
A group of lucky ladies have been awarded free plumbing scholarships through a Dagenham training centre.
Choice Training, on Wantz Road, offered the City & Guilds diplomas, normally costing upwards of £3,200, in a bid to get more women working in the industry.
Single mum-of-two Sally King, 35, has just finished a level two apprenticeship at Bexley College and is now a step closer to her dream of becoming a gas fitter.
“I’m absolutely over the moon,” she said. “Without this scholarship I simply wouldn’t have been able to continue my training so I’m ever so grateful.
“I want to become a gas fitter because to give confidence to single mums and elderly ladies, who can sometimes feel threatened by having workmen in their homes, so a scheme like this is fantastic.”
You may also want to watch:
Kayleigh Walby, 26, Georgia-Rose Cuthbert, 19, and Maria Markham, 37, were the other winners, hand-picked from 25 entrants.
The scholarships will be run two days a week for 12 months and will hopefully culminate in a job at the end.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 6 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils
- 10 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people