Lucky ladies awarded Dagenham plumbing scholarships
- Credit: Archant
A group of lucky ladies have been awarded free plumbing scholarships through a Dagenham training centre.
Choice Training, on Wantz Road, offered the City & Guilds diplomas, normally costing upwards of £3,200, in a bid to get more women working in the industry.
Single mum-of-two Sally King, 35, has just finished a level two apprenticeship at Bexley College and is now a step closer to her dream of becoming a gas fitter.
“I’m absolutely over the moon,” she said. “Without this scholarship I simply wouldn’t have been able to continue my training so I’m ever so grateful.
“I want to become a gas fitter because to give confidence to single mums and elderly ladies, who can sometimes feel threatened by having workmen in their homes, so a scheme like this is fantastic.”
You may also want to watch:
Kayleigh Walby, 26, Georgia-Rose Cuthbert, 19, and Maria Markham, 37, were the other winners, hand-picked from 25 entrants.
The scholarships will be run two days a week for 12 months and will hopefully culminate in a job at the end.
- 1 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 2 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 3 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 4 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 5 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 6 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 7 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 8 Dagenham charity set up in memory of 'unique' man offers help to youngsters
- 9 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 10 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer