Lucky ladies awarded Dagenham plumbing scholarships
- Credit: Archant
A group of lucky ladies have been awarded free plumbing scholarships through a Dagenham training centre.
Choice Training, on Wantz Road, offered the City & Guilds diplomas, normally costing upwards of £3,200, in a bid to get more women working in the industry.
Single mum-of-two Sally King, 35, has just finished a level two apprenticeship at Bexley College and is now a step closer to her dream of becoming a gas fitter.
“I’m absolutely over the moon,” she said. “Without this scholarship I simply wouldn’t have been able to continue my training so I’m ever so grateful.
“I want to become a gas fitter because to give confidence to single mums and elderly ladies, who can sometimes feel threatened by having workmen in their homes, so a scheme like this is fantastic.”
You may also want to watch:
Kayleigh Walby, 26, Georgia-Rose Cuthbert, 19, and Maria Markham, 37, were the other winners, hand-picked from 25 entrants.
The scholarships will be run two days a week for 12 months and will hopefully culminate in a job at the end.
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 5 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 8 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 9 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 10 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham