Barking Market trader from Ilford ordered to pay £1,500 after trying to flog fake designer jewellery
- Credit: Archant
An Ilford market trader caught flogging fake designer jewellery in Barking has been fined almost £1,000.
Bablu Pathan, of Aldborough Road South, Ilford, was found with 233 necklaces, brooches and pairs of earrings with luxury brand names including Chanel, Christian Dior, Louis Vuitton and Michael Kors.
Trading standards officers seized the haul during a routine inspection of Barking market last December. If the stock had been genuine, it would have had a price tag of more than £40,000.
Cllr Margaret Mullane, Barking and Dagenham’s enforcement chief, said: “Selling fake products is not a victimless crime.
“Just because it has the logo of a well-known brand on it doesn’t mean it is made of the same quality or meets the same safety standards.
You may also want to watch:
“While cheap knock-offs might seem like a bargain, there could be dangers as well as disappointment.”
Pathan, 45, pleaded guilty to five trademark offences at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on November 23 and was ordered to pay a £669 fine, £1,000 costs and £45 victim surcharge.
- 1 Barking and Dagenham pubs and bars reopen for outdoor service
- 2 Litter pickers mark opening of new community centre in Dagenham
- 3 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 4 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 5 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 6 Archery prodigy recognised by county for record-breaking efforts
- 7 Barking boss Gardner wants to use Cup to embed new system and hand out opportunities
- 8 Daggers have some of best strikers in league says manager McMahon
- 9 Letter writing, Ramadan, Cats Protection, Islamophobia and Covid
- 10 Second World War bomb pulled from River Thames in Barking
To spot a fake product, trading standards officers suggest checking the price, seller, quality and packaging.
If anyone has any doubt, contact trading standards on firstname.lastname@example.org