Barking Market trader from Ilford ordered to pay £1,500 after trying to flog fake designer jewellery
- Credit: Archant
An Ilford market trader caught flogging fake designer jewellery in Barking has been fined almost £1,000.
Bablu Pathan, of Aldborough Road South, Ilford, was found with 233 necklaces, brooches and pairs of earrings with luxury brand names including Chanel, Christian Dior, Louis Vuitton and Michael Kors.
Trading standards officers seized the haul during a routine inspection of Barking market last December. If the stock had been genuine, it would have had a price tag of more than £40,000.
Cllr Margaret Mullane, Barking and Dagenham’s enforcement chief, said: “Selling fake products is not a victimless crime.
“Just because it has the logo of a well-known brand on it doesn’t mean it is made of the same quality or meets the same safety standards.
You may also want to watch:
“While cheap knock-offs might seem like a bargain, there could be dangers as well as disappointment.”
Pathan, 45, pleaded guilty to five trademark offences at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on November 23 and was ordered to pay a £669 fine, £1,000 costs and £45 victim surcharge.
- 1 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 2 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 3 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 4 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 5 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 6 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 7 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 8 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
- 9 Dagenham must continue to believe in themselves ahead of Southend clash
- 10 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
To spot a fake product, trading standards officers suggest checking the price, seller, quality and packaging.
If anyone has any doubt, contact trading standards on firstname.lastname@example.org