Barking Market trader from Ilford ordered to pay £1,500 after trying to flog fake designer jewellery
- Credit: Archant
An Ilford market trader caught flogging fake designer jewellery in Barking has been fined almost £1,000.
Bablu Pathan, of Aldborough Road South, Ilford, was found with 233 necklaces, brooches and pairs of earrings with luxury brand names including Chanel, Christian Dior, Louis Vuitton and Michael Kors.
Trading standards officers seized the haul during a routine inspection of Barking market last December. If the stock had been genuine, it would have had a price tag of more than £40,000.
Cllr Margaret Mullane, Barking and Dagenham’s enforcement chief, said: “Selling fake products is not a victimless crime.
“Just because it has the logo of a well-known brand on it doesn’t mean it is made of the same quality or meets the same safety standards.
“While cheap knock-offs might seem like a bargain, there could be dangers as well as disappointment.”
Pathan, 45, pleaded guilty to five trademark offences at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on November 23 and was ordered to pay a £669 fine, £1,000 costs and £45 victim surcharge.
- 1 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
- 2 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 3 Forests between Dagenham and Brentwood to benefit from mass plantations amid £40 million investment
- 4 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 5 Kittens dumped in Barking 'like rubbish' in 35C heatwave
- 6 'Affordable' Dagenham housing scheme completed
- 7 ‘It’s like a warzone’: Extent of damage to Ballards Road homes on show following blaze which destroyed 14 houses
- 8 'Hello Mum' - WhatsApp scammers posing as children steal over £1.5m
- 9 Gun shots fired in Dagenham
- 10 'Extremely hard': Mum donates Isla Caton's toys in act of kindness so 'her legacy lives on'
To spot a fake product, trading standards officers suggest checking the price, seller, quality and packaging.
If anyone has any doubt, contact trading standards on firstname.lastname@example.org