Barking Market trader from Ilford ordered to pay £1,500 after trying to flog fake designer jewellery
- Credit: Archant
An Ilford market trader caught flogging fake designer jewellery in Barking has been fined almost £1,000.
Bablu Pathan, of Aldborough Road South, Ilford, was found with 233 necklaces, brooches and pairs of earrings with luxury brand names including Chanel, Christian Dior, Louis Vuitton and Michael Kors.
Trading standards officers seized the haul during a routine inspection of Barking market last December. If the stock had been genuine, it would have had a price tag of more than £40,000.
Cllr Margaret Mullane, Barking and Dagenham’s enforcement chief, said: “Selling fake products is not a victimless crime.
“Just because it has the logo of a well-known brand on it doesn’t mean it is made of the same quality or meets the same safety standards.
You may also want to watch:
“While cheap knock-offs might seem like a bargain, there could be dangers as well as disappointment.”
Pathan, 45, pleaded guilty to five trademark offences at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on November 23 and was ordered to pay a £669 fine, £1,000 costs and £45 victim surcharge.
- 1 Hundreds of shops found not complying with Covid rules
- 2 Town hall backs Dagenham freeport bid
- 3 Dagenham rallies round to make memories for family of 'joyful, little' tot with cancer
- 4 Town hall seeks powers to prevent 'unsightly' loft extensions
- 5 Man recalled to prison after persistent anti-social behaviour in Dagenham cul de sac
- 6 Organisers seek former Mayesbrook teachers to join school reunion
- 7 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 8 Covid funding boost for charities promoting youth arts and inclusion
- 9 All borough's care home residents have had first Covid vaccination
- 10 Second blaze breaks out at White Horse pub in Chadwell Heath
To spot a fake product, trading standards officers suggest checking the price, seller, quality and packaging.
If anyone has any doubt, contact trading standards on firstname.lastname@example.org