MP warns factory closure could affect job prospects in Dagenham
Prominent MP Jon Cruddas warned that job prospects could worsen after Ford unveiled plans to shut its stamping plant in Dagenham.
The Labour MP for Dagenham and Rainham spoke out after the car giant announced the closure of its Southampton factory and facilities at Dagenham, which could put up to 1,400 jobs at risk.
Mr Cruddas said: “This announcement is bad news for manufacturing in this country and for Dagenham.
“The closure of the stamping operation and tool room with the loss of the jobs and the shakedown in the supply chain will affect local families and people’s future job prospects in the area.
“Whilst I welcome the news around the new investment in the panther engine which we have been fighting for, I cannot hide my disappointment about the news today.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Cruddas is carrying out a review of Labour policies, which could include an answer to David Cameron’s Big Society plans.
- 1 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 2 Missing teenagers from Dagenham may be in Islington or Haringey
- 3 New community food club set to open in Barking and Dagenham
- 4 New CCTV footage in connection with 2017 fatal stabbing of Joshua Bwalya
- 5 Two men stabbed and a third slashed during We Are FSTVL
- 6 Chadwell Heath station assault witness appeal
- 7 The tea room in a country park 'building a community' in Dagenham
- 8 Barking and Dagenham, Newham named priority areas by Arts Council
- 9 Revellers descend on Dagenham for We Are FSTVL
- 10 Dagenham boss McMahon 'can't wait' for test against big spenders Wrexham