MP warns factory closure could affect job prospects in Dagenham
Prominent MP Jon Cruddas warned that job prospects could worsen after Ford unveiled plans to shut its stamping plant in Dagenham.
The Labour MP for Dagenham and Rainham spoke out after the car giant announced the closure of its Southampton factory and facilities at Dagenham, which could put up to 1,400 jobs at risk.
Mr Cruddas said: “This announcement is bad news for manufacturing in this country and for Dagenham.
“The closure of the stamping operation and tool room with the loss of the jobs and the shakedown in the supply chain will affect local families and people’s future job prospects in the area.
“Whilst I welcome the news around the new investment in the panther engine which we have been fighting for, I cannot hide my disappointment about the news today.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Cruddas is carrying out a review of Labour policies, which could include an answer to David Cameron’s Big Society plans.
- 1 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 2 Woman organises do after Covid-19 restrictions force school in Dagenham to cancel prom
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 5 Father's Day: Fond memories of Dagenham 'gent' with 'a heart of gold'
- 6 Man wanted in criminal damage investigation
- 7 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 8 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 10 Barking add forward Georgie Fairhead as assistant Adam Flemming departs