MP warns factory closure could affect job prospects in Dagenham
Prominent MP Jon Cruddas warned that job prospects could worsen after Ford unveiled plans to shut its stamping plant in Dagenham.
The Labour MP for Dagenham and Rainham spoke out after the car giant announced the closure of its Southampton factory and facilities at Dagenham, which could put up to 1,400 jobs at risk.
Mr Cruddas said: “This announcement is bad news for manufacturing in this country and for Dagenham.
“The closure of the stamping operation and tool room with the loss of the jobs and the shakedown in the supply chain will affect local families and people’s future job prospects in the area.
“Whilst I welcome the news around the new investment in the panther engine which we have been fighting for, I cannot hide my disappointment about the news today.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Cruddas is carrying out a review of Labour policies, which could include an answer to David Cameron’s Big Society plans.
- 1 Is the Becontree estate in Barking and Dagenham really a Covid hotspot?
- 2 Padnall Lake, teachers in pandemic, hearing loss and Covid insurance
- 3 Tributes to 'much-loved' volunteer with a passion for Dagenham history
- 4 Town hall backs Dagenham freeport bid
- 5 Heritage: How greyhound enthusiast's 1960s betting coup failed
- 6 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 7 Rapid Covid-19 test site for people without symptoms open in Dagenham
- 8 Organisers seek former Mayesbrook teachers to join school reunion
- 9 Man recalled to prison after persistent anti-social behaviour in Dagenham cul de sac
- 10 Hundreds of shops found not complying with Covid rules