MP warns factory closure could affect job prospects in Dagenham
Prominent MP Jon Cruddas warned that job prospects could worsen after Ford unveiled plans to shut its stamping plant in Dagenham.
The Labour MP for Dagenham and Rainham spoke out after the car giant announced the closure of its Southampton factory and facilities at Dagenham, which could put up to 1,400 jobs at risk.
Mr Cruddas said: “This announcement is bad news for manufacturing in this country and for Dagenham.
“The closure of the stamping operation and tool room with the loss of the jobs and the shakedown in the supply chain will affect local families and people’s future job prospects in the area.
“Whilst I welcome the news around the new investment in the panther engine which we have been fighting for, I cannot hide my disappointment about the news today.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Cruddas is carrying out a review of Labour policies, which could include an answer to David Cameron’s Big Society plans.
- 1 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 2 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 3 Rainbow lights 'signal hope' as part of Barking and Dagenham festival
- 4 Barking and Dagenham pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 5 Second World War bomb pulled from River Thames in Barking
- 6 Jailed: Burglar who drove on wrong side of road trying to flee police
- 7 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 8 Council reveals new debt collection service to cut need for enforcement
- 9 Barking MP receives 'disgusting' Holocaust email over Covid-19 vaccine passports
- 10 Hospital worker killed by ex-partner before he committed suicide, court hears