New £3.5million parcel depot opens in Dagenham
- Credit: Archant
A new £3.5million “super-depot” has opened in Dagenham ahead of the Christmas parcel rush, creating up to 60 new jobs.
DPD, the UK’s fastest-growing major parcel delivery company, has opened the 66,000sq ft depot in Orion Park, Messina Way – capable of handling 25,000 parcels a day.
Positioned close to the A13 Thames Gateway, between the North Circular and the M25, the new location will serve both London and Essex, and replace the company’s existing facility at Spilsby Road, in Romford.
The new purpose-built facility is fitted with fully-automated sorting conveyers and has the capacity to handle 6,000 packages an hour, making it up to four times as efficient as older depots.
Dwain McDonald, DPD’s CEO said: “Our new flagship super depots are the largest and most efficient in our network and are the latest demonstration of our commitment to our customers.
You may also want to watch:
“They enable us to expand our capacity, run our service efficiently and maintain our very high service standards.
“Most importantly they ensure we remain well ahead of demand from our business and retail customers.
- 1 Hundreds of shops found not complying with Covid rules
- 2 Town hall backs Dagenham freeport bid
- 3 Dagenham rallies round to make memories for family of 'joyful, little' tot with cancer
- 4 Town hall seeks powers to prevent 'unsightly' loft extensions
- 5 Man recalled to prison after persistent anti-social behaviour in Dagenham cul de sac
- 6 Organisers seek former Mayesbrook teachers to join school reunion
- 7 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 8 Covid funding boost for charities promoting youth arts and inclusion
- 9 All borough's care home residents have had first Covid vaccination
- 10 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
“We’re investing in capacity for the future, so these huge depots will be able to continue to grow for the next five years and beyond.”
The new Dagenham depot has been specifically delivered ahead of the festive rush, and will contribute to what is set be a record peak period for DPD, with planned parcel volumes 30 per cent up on last year.