New £3.5million parcel depot opens in Dagenham
- Credit: Archant
A new £3.5million “super-depot” has opened in Dagenham ahead of the Christmas parcel rush, creating up to 60 new jobs.
DPD, the UK’s fastest-growing major parcel delivery company, has opened the 66,000sq ft depot in Orion Park, Messina Way – capable of handling 25,000 parcels a day.
Positioned close to the A13 Thames Gateway, between the North Circular and the M25, the new location will serve both London and Essex, and replace the company’s existing facility at Spilsby Road, in Romford.
The new purpose-built facility is fitted with fully-automated sorting conveyers and has the capacity to handle 6,000 packages an hour, making it up to four times as efficient as older depots.
Dwain McDonald, DPD’s CEO said: “Our new flagship super depots are the largest and most efficient in our network and are the latest demonstration of our commitment to our customers.
You may also want to watch:
“They enable us to expand our capacity, run our service efficiently and maintain our very high service standards.
“Most importantly they ensure we remain well ahead of demand from our business and retail customers.
- 1 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 2 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 3 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 4 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 5 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 6 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 7 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 8 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
- 9 Dagenham must continue to believe in themselves ahead of Southend clash
- 10 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
“We’re investing in capacity for the future, so these huge depots will be able to continue to grow for the next five years and beyond.”
The new Dagenham depot has been specifically delivered ahead of the festive rush, and will contribute to what is set be a record peak period for DPD, with planned parcel volumes 30 per cent up on last year.