New bistro opens in Barking station
- Credit: Archant
The borough’s latest café is hoping to bring back the intellectual side to coffee-drinking – at Barking station.
Iliyan Kuzmanov, 35, and Ina Jankoic, 38, of Highbridge Road, Barking, opened Ezo Bistro last month, featuring a series of paintings created by homeless artists bought through charity Café Art.
Mensa member Iliyan, who studied for a law degree in Bulgaria before completing a history and economics in Canada, hopes to use the shop as a local base for meetings of the high-IQ society.
He said: “There are plenty of coffee shops around, but we’re providing something new for Barking.
“People can sit down in comfy chairs, enjoy some food and coffee and take in the relaxed, but hopefully intellectual, environment.
You may also want to watch:
“Rather than collect their coffee and leave, we’re hoping people will soak up the atmosphere and read the books we have here, or maybe play some chess.”
As well as the usual selection of coffee favourites, the couple will also offer a selection of food including sandwiches, fresh cakes and crepes.
- 1 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 2 Barking and Dagenham rallies to give friends a prom night to remember
- 3 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 4 Mum plans 30-mile walk to Barking Station to raise money to help son take first steps
- 5 Dagenham MP seeks views on CPZs after 'hundreds raise concerns'
- 6 Admissions open for new Barking school
- 7 Barking and Dagenham racks up most blue badge-related fines, study shows
- 8 London boroughs with fastest and slowest wage growth revealed
- 9 Ricardo Fuller death: Men from Dagenham and Plaistow wanted in connection
- 10 Town hall agrees to buy 62 homes in Barking development
Ina, who worked in the beauty industry in Lithuania before moving to the UK six years ago, hopes the shop’s prime location will offer commuters a more enjoyable rush-hour experience.
She said: “It’s really nice getting to know new people, and hopefully more and more will get to know us over the coming weeks.”