New bistro opens in Barking station
- Credit: Archant
The borough’s latest café is hoping to bring back the intellectual side to coffee-drinking – at Barking station.
Iliyan Kuzmanov, 35, and Ina Jankoic, 38, of Highbridge Road, Barking, opened Ezo Bistro last month, featuring a series of paintings created by homeless artists bought through charity Café Art.
Mensa member Iliyan, who studied for a law degree in Bulgaria before completing a history and economics in Canada, hopes to use the shop as a local base for meetings of the high-IQ society.
He said: “There are plenty of coffee shops around, but we’re providing something new for Barking.
“People can sit down in comfy chairs, enjoy some food and coffee and take in the relaxed, but hopefully intellectual, environment.
You may also want to watch:
“Rather than collect their coffee and leave, we’re hoping people will soak up the atmosphere and read the books we have here, or maybe play some chess.”
As well as the usual selection of coffee favourites, the couple will also offer a selection of food including sandwiches, fresh cakes and crepes.
- 1 Dagenham man sentenced to life for raping teenage girl in his wife's car
- 2 'Appallingly dirty' Dagenham shop doubling up as 'substandard' hotel
- 3 £975 fine after man caught on CCTV getting out of car to wee on street
- 4 Care worker contests fine after 'cloned plates' car caught in bus lane
- 5 Woman seeks long lost relatives who may be in Dagenham
- 6 Man arrested in east London for terrorist offences
- 7 Council failed to investigate woman's concern of 'cancer cluster'
- 8 Only eight Covid patients 'critical' at Queen's and King George hospitals
- 9 Tributes to 'deeply spiritual' Barking priest following death from cancer
- 10 Dagenham man sentenced to life for 'brutal' knife attack murder
Ina, who worked in the beauty industry in Lithuania before moving to the UK six years ago, hopes the shop’s prime location will offer commuters a more enjoyable rush-hour experience.
She said: “It’s really nice getting to know new people, and hopefully more and more will get to know us over the coming weeks.”