New bistro opens in Barking station
- Credit: Archant
The borough’s latest café is hoping to bring back the intellectual side to coffee-drinking – at Barking station.
Iliyan Kuzmanov, 35, and Ina Jankoic, 38, of Highbridge Road, Barking, opened Ezo Bistro last month, featuring a series of paintings created by homeless artists bought through charity Café Art.
Mensa member Iliyan, who studied for a law degree in Bulgaria before completing a history and economics in Canada, hopes to use the shop as a local base for meetings of the high-IQ society.
He said: “There are plenty of coffee shops around, but we’re providing something new for Barking.
“People can sit down in comfy chairs, enjoy some food and coffee and take in the relaxed, but hopefully intellectual, environment.
“Rather than collect their coffee and leave, we’re hoping people will soak up the atmosphere and read the books we have here, or maybe play some chess.”
As well as the usual selection of coffee favourites, the couple will also offer a selection of food including sandwiches, fresh cakes and crepes.
- 1 Man taken to hospital after fight reported on Heathway in Dagenham
- 2 Truck towing stolen Rolls Royce SUV crashes before dramatic foot chase
- 3 Man in critical condition after staff assault at Barking Asda
- 4 Footballer convicted of hate crime after homophobic abuse of opponent
- 5 Woman taken to hospital after Dagenham Heathway station incident
- 6 One man injured after A13 crash involving car, van and lorry
- 7 Man denies charges after drugs raids as east London duo await trial
- 8 Woman hospitalised after Dagenham garden bonfire gets out of control
- 9 David Adegbite murder: £20,000 reward offered over Barking carpark shooting
- 10 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
Ina, who worked in the beauty industry in Lithuania before moving to the UK six years ago, hopes the shop’s prime location will offer commuters a more enjoyable rush-hour experience.
She said: “It’s really nice getting to know new people, and hopefully more and more will get to know us over the coming weeks.”