New bistro opens in Barking station
- Credit: Archant
The borough’s latest café is hoping to bring back the intellectual side to coffee-drinking – at Barking station.
Iliyan Kuzmanov, 35, and Ina Jankoic, 38, of Highbridge Road, Barking, opened Ezo Bistro last month, featuring a series of paintings created by homeless artists bought through charity Café Art.
Mensa member Iliyan, who studied for a law degree in Bulgaria before completing a history and economics in Canada, hopes to use the shop as a local base for meetings of the high-IQ society.
He said: “There are plenty of coffee shops around, but we’re providing something new for Barking.
“People can sit down in comfy chairs, enjoy some food and coffee and take in the relaxed, but hopefully intellectual, environment.
You may also want to watch:
“Rather than collect their coffee and leave, we’re hoping people will soak up the atmosphere and read the books we have here, or maybe play some chess.”
As well as the usual selection of coffee favourites, the couple will also offer a selection of food including sandwiches, fresh cakes and crepes.
- 1 School pupil among Indian Covid variant cases in Barking and Dagenham
- 2 Jailed: Dagenham car burglar after 100mph pursuit in Romford
- 3 Love Island promo filming in Barking 'a great opportunity' for college students
- 4 Barking man charged with sexual assault during crackdown on violence against women
- 5 Barking Indian restaurant owner fined over waste disposal
- 6 Indian variant of Covid-19 - what's the situation in London?
- 7 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 8 Dagenham restaurant excited to celebrate return of diners 'safely together'
- 9 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
- 10 Eid prayer recited outside Barking Town Hall as groups call for more worship spaces
Ina, who worked in the beauty industry in Lithuania before moving to the UK six years ago, hopes the shop’s prime location will offer commuters a more enjoyable rush-hour experience.
She said: “It’s really nice getting to know new people, and hopefully more and more will get to know us over the coming weeks.”