New bistro opens in Barking station
- Credit: Archant
The borough’s latest café is hoping to bring back the intellectual side to coffee-drinking – at Barking station.
Iliyan Kuzmanov, 35, and Ina Jankoic, 38, of Highbridge Road, Barking, opened Ezo Bistro last month, featuring a series of paintings created by homeless artists bought through charity Café Art.
Mensa member Iliyan, who studied for a law degree in Bulgaria before completing a history and economics in Canada, hopes to use the shop as a local base for meetings of the high-IQ society.
He said: “There are plenty of coffee shops around, but we’re providing something new for Barking.
“People can sit down in comfy chairs, enjoy some food and coffee and take in the relaxed, but hopefully intellectual, environment.
You may also want to watch:
“Rather than collect their coffee and leave, we’re hoping people will soak up the atmosphere and read the books we have here, or maybe play some chess.”
As well as the usual selection of coffee favourites, the couple will also offer a selection of food including sandwiches, fresh cakes and crepes.
- 1 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 2 Road and rail round-up: Disruptions to travel in east London this week
- 3 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 4 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
- 5 Ops planned as Barking and Dagenham marks London Trading Standards Week
- 6 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 7 Dagenham advance in FA Cup with two late goals at Wealdstone
- 8 Stephen Port inquests: Detective apologises to families for mistakes
- 9 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 10 'Life is hard, why make it harder?': Protesters call for new consultation over parking scheme roll out
Ina, who worked in the beauty industry in Lithuania before moving to the UK six years ago, hopes the shop’s prime location will offer commuters a more enjoyable rush-hour experience.
She said: “It’s really nice getting to know new people, and hopefully more and more will get to know us over the coming weeks.”