New bistro opens in Barking station
- Credit: Archant
The borough’s latest café is hoping to bring back the intellectual side to coffee-drinking – at Barking station.
Iliyan Kuzmanov, 35, and Ina Jankoic, 38, of Highbridge Road, Barking, opened Ezo Bistro last month, featuring a series of paintings created by homeless artists bought through charity Café Art.
Mensa member Iliyan, who studied for a law degree in Bulgaria before completing a history and economics in Canada, hopes to use the shop as a local base for meetings of the high-IQ society.
He said: “There are plenty of coffee shops around, but we’re providing something new for Barking.
“People can sit down in comfy chairs, enjoy some food and coffee and take in the relaxed, but hopefully intellectual, environment.
“Rather than collect their coffee and leave, we’re hoping people will soak up the atmosphere and read the books we have here, or maybe play some chess.”
As well as the usual selection of coffee favourites, the couple will also offer a selection of food including sandwiches, fresh cakes and crepes.
- 1 Dagenham woman forced to pay £1,000 over rotting waste in garden
- 2 School's new headteacher on wellbeing and helping pupils realise potential
- 3 Homes under the Planner: Development that could be coming to the borough
- 4 Ofsted praises progress of Dagenham school after inspection
- 5 Eastbury Manor House to reopen 'as soon as possible'
- 6 Coroner's report outlines concerns with Stephen Port murder investigations
- 7 'He will not survive the cold': Family fear for missing Sphynx cat
- 8 Care provider taken to court by council in waste disposal dispute
- 9 'I just shut my eyes': Murder accused tells of moment he ran over victim
- 10 Gallery: Hidden photos reveal London's East End in the 1960s
Ina, who worked in the beauty industry in Lithuania before moving to the UK six years ago, hopes the shop’s prime location will offer commuters a more enjoyable rush-hour experience.
She said: “It’s really nice getting to know new people, and hopefully more and more will get to know us over the coming weeks.”