New Dagenham tattoo parlour is a cut above the rest
- Credit: Archant
A tattoo artist has departed from the stereotype of dingy parlours with a light-filled, modern workspace.
Kevin Haggis has teamed up with business partner Bill Stratford to transform Sweeney’s barbershop in Becontree Avenue, Dagenham, into a unisex hairdresser with a tattoo parlour on the side.
“We wanted to do something that no one’s done before, there’s nothing like this here,” explained Kevin of Sammie’s Unisex Hair Salon Empire Ink, which launched at the end of last month.
“Clients can have their hair done and have tattoos done in the same visit.”
The internal transformation is dramatic – from a dark, airless shop to a salon fitted with gold, copper and white tiles.
You may also want to watch:
Sammie Aubrey, a stylist from Dagenham, will manage the salon while Kevin will be in charge of his eclectic parlour through a glass panel.“In my room there are skulls everywhere,” laughed the 36-year-old, of Tilbury. “I’ve got all sorts of things there to keep the client’s mind off the procedure.”
The dad-of-two believes the business has the potential to grow.
- 1 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 2 New Covid test site opening in Barking this weekend
- 3 More than half of people in Barking and Dagenham may have had Covid, data shows
- 4 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 5 Appeal after shots fired at house in Dagenham
- 6 Town hall to decide on bid for Dagenham freeport
- 7 Doctors and nurses 'exhausted' as hospitals reach breaking point
- 8 Samuel Garside House fire review prompts questions over responsibility
- 9 Rapid Covid-19 test site for people without symptoms open in Dagenham
- 10 Appeal to find witness who comforted woman hit by a car in Barking
“Hopefully we’ll get to expand,” he said. “In a few years we want to open in Brentwood and Brighton, they’re up-and-coming areas.
“This isn’t a biker, dodgy, rock and roll tattoo place, it’s more of a fashionable place to go.”
Kevin was first inspired to take up his passion professionally with the birth of his first child in 2009.
“I thought, how can I tell my boy to follow his dreams when I don’t follow mine?”
To find out more search Sammies Unisex Salon Empire Ink on Facebook, or call 020 8127 8680.