New Dagenham tattoo parlour is a cut above the rest
- Credit: Archant
A tattoo artist has departed from the stereotype of dingy parlours with a light-filled, modern workspace.
Kevin Haggis has teamed up with business partner Bill Stratford to transform Sweeney’s barbershop in Becontree Avenue, Dagenham, into a unisex hairdresser with a tattoo parlour on the side.
“We wanted to do something that no one’s done before, there’s nothing like this here,” explained Kevin of Sammie’s Unisex Hair Salon Empire Ink, which launched at the end of last month.
“Clients can have their hair done and have tattoos done in the same visit.”
The internal transformation is dramatic – from a dark, airless shop to a salon fitted with gold, copper and white tiles.
You may also want to watch:
Sammie Aubrey, a stylist from Dagenham, will manage the salon while Kevin will be in charge of his eclectic parlour through a glass panel.“In my room there are skulls everywhere,” laughed the 36-year-old, of Tilbury. “I’ve got all sorts of things there to keep the client’s mind off the procedure.”
The dad-of-two believes the business has the potential to grow.
- 1 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 2 Hospital visitors urged to take Covid lateral flow tests
- 3 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 4 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 5 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 6 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 7 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 8 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 9 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 10 'Blows on the hand with a strap': The story of Barking's women jute weavers
“Hopefully we’ll get to expand,” he said. “In a few years we want to open in Brentwood and Brighton, they’re up-and-coming areas.
“This isn’t a biker, dodgy, rock and roll tattoo place, it’s more of a fashionable place to go.”
Kevin was first inspired to take up his passion professionally with the birth of his first child in 2009.
“I thought, how can I tell my boy to follow his dreams when I don’t follow mine?”
To find out more search Sammies Unisex Salon Empire Ink on Facebook, or call 020 8127 8680.