Ocado to transform Dagenham bus depot into delivery hub creating 350 jobs
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
The world’s largest online food retailer is set to transform an old Dagenham bus depot into a regional delivery hub, creating more than 350 jobs.
Ocado were recently granted planning permission to turn the former centre on Chequers Lane into a local warehouse.
The facility will be used to organise goods into individual domestic orders before being shipped out to local residents through a fleet of vans.
Barking and Dagenham Council’s cabinet member for regeneration, Cllr Cameron Geddes, said: “It’s great that the existing former bus depot is going to be reused as an Ocado distribution facility generating over 350 jobs.
“The applicants will be working with the council to seek to maximise the amount of local people employed.
You may also want to watch:
“This forms one of a number of new employment opportunities in the borough highlighting clearly that Barking and Dagenham is open for business and ready to support new businesses moving in and creating jobs.”
Bus company First Group closed the depot last October as the firm withdrew from London.
- 1 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 2 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 3 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
- 4 Meet the singer drawing global audiences to her Barking living room
- 5 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 6 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 8 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 9 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 10 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
The move is part of a national expansion for Ocado, who agreed a £200million partnership with Morrisons last year.
The online retailers now deliver more than 36,000 product lines, including goods from Waitrose.