Plans for permanent Barking Bathhouse
A popular temporary spa, which recently moved into the Barking Learning Centre, could be given a permanent home.
The Barking Bathhouse was originally a custom built prefab built in Axe Street, offering residents a bar, sauna, cold room and reasonably priced treatment throughout the summer months this year.
As the wooden structure had no heating it closed in October, but the treatments were transferred to rooms in the Barking Learning Centre around three weeks ago.
There are now plans to open a permanent facility in Cambridge Road, which would be similar in style to the Axe Street building but with heating and slightly bigger in size.
Bathhouse manager, Rachelle Moulai, told the Post: “The response we got from people visiting the Bathhouse this summer was fantastic. So many people from the area and further afield said they wanted it to stay, so we decided we’d try and make this happen.”
You may also want to watch:
The team, headed by Bathhouse designers Something & Son, have received backing from the council, but need funds to make the project a reality.
“We’ve applied for government funding through the Future High Street X Fund, a scheme which awards money to innovative schemes that help transform the high street,” Rachelle explained. “We don’t know if we’ll be successful but we’re feeling confident.”
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 5 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 8 Parkrun returns to east London: Where can you join in?
- 9 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 10 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
The original Bathhouse was commissioned as part of the 2012 CREATE festival, a London wide arts project held in the summer.
The Bathhouse at the Barking Learning Centre, in Barking Town Square, is holding an open day on Wednesday (December 21) from 11am to around 6pm with mulled wine and mince pies.
To book a treatment or for more information go to barkingbathhouse,com or call 07889008828.