Plans for permanent Barking Bathhouse
A popular temporary spa, which recently moved into the Barking Learning Centre, could be given a permanent home.
The Barking Bathhouse was originally a custom built prefab built in Axe Street, offering residents a bar, sauna, cold room and reasonably priced treatment throughout the summer months this year.
As the wooden structure had no heating it closed in October, but the treatments were transferred to rooms in the Barking Learning Centre around three weeks ago.
There are now plans to open a permanent facility in Cambridge Road, which would be similar in style to the Axe Street building but with heating and slightly bigger in size.
Bathhouse manager, Rachelle Moulai, told the Post: “The response we got from people visiting the Bathhouse this summer was fantastic. So many people from the area and further afield said they wanted it to stay, so we decided we’d try and make this happen.”
You may also want to watch:
The team, headed by Bathhouse designers Something & Son, have received backing from the council, but need funds to make the project a reality.
“We’ve applied for government funding through the Future High Street X Fund, a scheme which awards money to innovative schemes that help transform the high street,” Rachelle explained. “We don’t know if we’ll be successful but we’re feeling confident.”
- 1 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 2 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 3 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
- 4 Meet the singer drawing global audiences to her Barking living room
- 5 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 6 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 8 Dagenham charity set up in memory of 'unique' man offers help to youngsters
- 9 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 10 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
The original Bathhouse was commissioned as part of the 2012 CREATE festival, a London wide arts project held in the summer.
The Bathhouse at the Barking Learning Centre, in Barking Town Square, is holding an open day on Wednesday (December 21) from 11am to around 6pm with mulled wine and mince pies.
To book a treatment or for more information go to barkingbathhouse,com or call 07889008828.