Plans for permanent Barking Bathhouse
A popular temporary spa, which recently moved into the Barking Learning Centre, could be given a permanent home.
The Barking Bathhouse was originally a custom built prefab built in Axe Street, offering residents a bar, sauna, cold room and reasonably priced treatment throughout the summer months this year.
As the wooden structure had no heating it closed in October, but the treatments were transferred to rooms in the Barking Learning Centre around three weeks ago.
There are now plans to open a permanent facility in Cambridge Road, which would be similar in style to the Axe Street building but with heating and slightly bigger in size.
Bathhouse manager, Rachelle Moulai, told the Post: “The response we got from people visiting the Bathhouse this summer was fantastic. So many people from the area and further afield said they wanted it to stay, so we decided we’d try and make this happen.”
You may also want to watch:
The team, headed by Bathhouse designers Something & Son, have received backing from the council, but need funds to make the project a reality.
“We’ve applied for government funding through the Future High Street X Fund, a scheme which awards money to innovative schemes that help transform the high street,” Rachelle explained. “We don’t know if we’ll be successful but we’re feeling confident.”
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 5 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 8 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 9 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 10 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils
The original Bathhouse was commissioned as part of the 2012 CREATE festival, a London wide arts project held in the summer.
The Bathhouse at the Barking Learning Centre, in Barking Town Square, is holding an open day on Wednesday (December 21) from 11am to around 6pm with mulled wine and mince pies.
To book a treatment or for more information go to barkingbathhouse,com or call 07889008828.